Topic

Puffy Top Layer (Down Jackets)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Puffy Top Layer (Down Jackets)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

te-wa: "the fit of the Montbell parka is odd.. i have a 38" chest and a 30" waist and the parka is just plain box-shaped. no taper, and no drawstring or elastic at the waist. the hood is also not fitted so a drawstring would have been a bonus there as well. im going to try my hand at adding elastic to the hood opening to have the ability to cinch it down (sleeping mode)."

Interesting that Montbell addressed both of your complaints with the revised parka that was released today. It now has a cinch-able hood and waist. It also had another 0.3oz of down (2.4oz total) and it gains 1.6oz so it weighs 9.0oz now. I'm buying one as I write this.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Hey Dan, let us know whether the new parka is "athletic" or "boxy" in fit. Like Te-Wa I've found the original version is quite boxy and I'd prefer a slimmer fit.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I'll post up for sure. I've ordered a Olive Green Medium and it should be here in 5-10 business days…hopefully I'll get it late next week. I'm up in Canada so it takes longer.

I wonder if the old women's parka has a boxy fit? My wife ordered the old parka w/o the adjustable hem & hood because she really wanted black.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I'll reiterate what BRad said- the Montbell UL Down Inner series uses a zipper now.

I like mine, but I would caution you that 2 oz of down fill is pretty flippin light. Which I suppose is appropriate if you are replacing such a light fleece, but for real shoulder-season use some people like something a tad heavier. The WM Flash is a good option if you do want something a bit heavier. Will Rietveld just reviewed it:

https://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/process

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

I have gear tested the MHW Nitrous jacket as well as the Patagonia Down sweater, and must say they are some of the finest lightweight insulation out there.

The Nitrous is much narrower in the hips (you skinny folks would love this jacket). It has has more stitching.

After using the down sweater for a season, I decided to sell it. I already have an R2 jacket, and a BC.com Siphon Primaloft jacket, and needed something warmer. After 25 degree weather with the Down Sweater, I wish it was warmer.

I replaced it with a MHW Phantom Down Jacket, which is 4 ozs heavier but MUCH MUCH warmer.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools