Topic

alcohol stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) alcohol stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

John, sounds like you're using one of the keg systems? Those are pretty sweet! I might have to get one soon. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but it almost sounds like a standard cone and pot might be a better option for you… no guess work, only one way to use it and it'll be absolutely right. I'm thrilled with my caldera and ti-tri.

EDIT: Missed Rand's above post/cross-posted… Have fun rre-creating that perfect storm!

John Ben

@aristotle_man

Yeah it is sweet.

I used to use the esbit clamshell stove which is why I bought the GVP system. The gram cracker is super light and the cone makes for a very nice windshield on top of being super light. I just got the alcohol stove option because I thought it might be fun and I love it.

This is my first experience with alcohol stoves and I expected a small learning curve. The problems I had with it are all easily corrected user error. I will see how it performs tonight but Im pretty sure im hooked on alcohol stoves now for some reason. They just have lots of fun factor. Plus Im going into bear country and esbit tabs smell like fish which worried me.

I dont need things that are idot proof as long as I am able to dust off and try things again.

But I do like the sound of the cone for my ti mug. (although I don't think I would get it time before I leave.) The extended handles make pouring very nice. I might try adding a little detachable clip holder to the GVP pot to save my fingers.

John Ben

@aristotle_man

Does anyone that owns this system have any tips or input?

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools