Topic

JMT September List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT September List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    m s

@palisades

Locale: St George UT and Palmdale CA

Hey there, first post.

See any opportunities to save weight? My base weight is still around 10-11lbs.

Big/Sleep Stuff

Jam2 Pack 1lb 10oz
    Ridge rest ¾ pad 9oz
    Shangri-La 1 1lb 5oz
    Adrenalin 20 1lb 14oz 5lb 6oz

Cook Stuff

MSR pocket rocket 3oz
    MSR black light 1.5L 7 oz
    Foil Lid Top 1oz
    Lighter 2oz
    Fork 1oz
    Gatorade Bottle 2oz
    2-Liter Platypus 3oz 1lb 4oz

Clothes

Golite Virga Jacket 7oz
    Marmot Precip pants 7oz
    Long Underwear top 5oz
    Long Underwear bottom 5oz
    Hiking socks 5oz
    Hat
    Sunglasses
    BD gloves 3oz 2lb

Misc

Sunscreen 2oz
    Map 2oz
    1st aid: IBU/Mole skin 3oz
    Aquamira 4oz
    Trekking poles
    Keys 2oz
    Camera 6oz
    Camera case 4oz
    Headlamp 6oz
    Extra batteries 3oz
    Toilet Paper 1oz
    Chapstick 1oz
    Bug spray 2oz
    Knife 3oz
    Tooth brush/paste 4oz

Perishable

Fuel canisters
    Food

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

A few things you could do.

– Trade the the headlamp/extra batteries for a tiny photon light or smaller headlamp. That would be an easy and relatively cheap half pound savings.
    – Ditch the bug spray for September. I barely saw any last year during that time.
    – Maybe a ziploc freezer bag instead of the camera case?

That being said, you might want to add some insulation to the clothing you have listed. I experienced some nights and early mornings in the upper 20s last September and used my BPL parka every day.

Enjoy the trip.

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

I'll second the extra insulation. I took a Montbell inner down vest with me when I hiked the JMT last year in early September. I used it most mornings, especially from the Evolution Basin south.

I take an accurate thermometer with me on my hikes so I can evaluate the performance of my gear. I measured temperatures as low as 26°F on several mornings. So, unless you are out of your sleeping bag and hiking within minutes, you'll be cold with your proposed clothing.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Mike,

Incredible avatar photo!!! Made me scared just looking at it!

I would get a lighter pot: Tibetan, BPL, Evernew, etc will all save weight.

If you must take bug spray, repackage it for less weight – I'm sure you can get by with less than 2oz.

Knives seem to be an area where some won't compromise, but there are many lighter alternatives for basic backpacking cutting tasks, such as the Swiss Army, or Gerber LST.

Also, you have WAY too much toothpaste!!!!! Repackage that stuff – or make Mike Clelland's dried toothpaste dots – they work.

Todd

m s

@palisades

Locale: St George UT and Palmdale CA

Ok cool, just weighed everything for real (first draft was estimations), took some advice from yall (gerber knife, toothpaste, etc), and my base weight is now at 9.5lbs. Stoked. Thanks for the info people. Still need a lighter pot. I'll figure it out.

Jack G

@nomadjack

Locale: Midwest

If you don't want to spend the money for a titanium pot you could always go with the standby grease pot. 1L and under 2 oz. without the lid. Amazon has them for $10. Link at bottom. Works fine for nonstick cooking.

Also, your lighter at 2 oz. could be reduced. A mini bic with a book of matches for a backup will be about .5 oz. I found at Walgreens recently a 3 pack of mini lighters made by Aries with a visible fuel supply. Probably sold all over just never noticed. Handy feature though, especially with a mini.

You could also perform some surgery on your Jam 2. There was a great thread about it that will help:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=22705

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools