Topic

Scented Trash Compactor Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Scented Trash Compactor Bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    John Tyberg

@jtyberg

Locale: Southern California

In prep for the JMT, I bought some trash compactor bags at Ralphs supermarket to use as pack liners, and they fit perfectly in my G4. No more having to use and keep replacing several garbage bags. However I began to notice my that my pack smelled like bad air freshener and realized the trash compactor bag was the culprit. The box says "repels odors," but doesn't say "scented" anywhere on it. I've been had.

When I sleep, I use my pack under my legs for insulation and am worried that animals (bears) will be attracted to the smell and bother me during the night.

What do you think? Am I being paranoid? Where can I find unscented trash compactor bags?

I guess I could just take the liner out every night and put it in the bear canister.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Perhaps the stupidest invention ever (except for lining diaper pails–trust me).

Ordinarily I'd think it would be no bother except the annoyance but then this is the JMT, an out of the ordinary trail where they suggest you even pack away your sunscreen in the canister. I say keep your dirty underwear in the bag at night and things should even out. I seriously doubt the residual odor on your pack will overwhelm the accumulated sweat and dirt. I would not store a scented bag with food because it could affect the food's taste. Yuck.

Cheers,

Rick

p.s. Perhaps if you leave some out in the sun a few days the scent will dissipate?

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Costco comes to mind – you got a membership there?

John Tyberg

@jtyberg

Thanks for the input. I'll check around. No costco membership, but I know friends with one. Then I'd be able to get enough pack liners to last my whole life.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I picked up a box of those at Vons and found unscented white ones. I must live a charmed life, this isn't the first time I've seen a complaint about scented compactor bags.

John Tyberg

@jtyberg

I'll try Vons. Thanks!

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

What size bags are you using? I was at a Ralphs the other day and the only one's they had seemed to big for our packs (GG Mariposa Plus, Homemade G4, Exos 58 and Gregory Z Pack). The bag said the liners were 2' x 2' sq. and I don't remember the height. I know I can cut the height if necessary but that's all.

What size are you using?

Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools