Topic

Rubber Tips for Trekking Poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Rubber Tips for Trekking Poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sara C
    BPL Member

@sarac

Locale: Missouri

I use rubber tips on my trekking poles, because my husband really hates the clanking sound of the metal tips when they hit rock. I recently bought some Titanium Goat poles and put the Leki rubber tips I already had on them. The tips feel heavy when I swing the poles, now that the poles are so light. Any ideas on something else I could use that would be light enough not to notice, not fall off easily, and reasonably long-lasting?

peter kvamme

@karacolor

Locale: midwest

What about PlastiDip? It would be a permanent rubber coating like the stuff commonly found on tool handles.
    Not sure how much it would change the sound, but it should be quite durable and weight is entirely dependent on how thick you apply the PlastiDip.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

Rubber (not vynil) electrical tape might work. The rubber sort of bonds to itself so if you wrap a turn or two around the tip to form a cylinder that extends off the tip then fold the end of the cylinder over, it will form a light rubber tip. No idea how durable it would be.

You could also try hollowing out two corks and gluing them to the tips.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sara,

The REI-brand rubber tips (REI Trek Pole Walk Tips) work great on my TI Goat poles. They are smaller and much lighter than the Leki-brand rubber tips, and so do not affect the weight or swing at all. To put them on, first drop the REI rubber tips into boiling water for a minute or two to get them to stretch better. Then take the hot rubber tips out of the water, place them on a counter or work surface, and push the TI Goat pole tip down onto it. Even hot it will take some force to get it all the way on, but once the tip is on and cooled, its not going anywhere.

Mine are into their second hiking season and are holding up great.

Sara C
    BPL Member

@saracr

Locale: SE Missouri and NW Arkansas

I had some REI tips at one time for my REI/Komperdell poles, but after they came off at least twice, I gave up on them. If they are noticeably lighter, I'll have to try them again on the Goat poles.

(This is Sara C, accidentally posted in my husband's account since mine doesn't have the members-only access.)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools