Topic

Hiking between Merced and Vogelsang HSC’s

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Hiking between Merced and Vogelsang HSC’s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I'm going to be going from Merced Lake to Vogelsang HSC next week. There's two trails, both about pretty close in length. One follows Fletcher Creek, the other Lewis Creek. Has anyone done either of these trails and could tell me about them (steepness, scenery, etc)?

Also, camp at Vogelsang lake at a distance from the HSC, or at Fletcher Creek at the backpackers campground? I'll have my bear cannister for flexibility so the bear boxes are irrelevant.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

James,

I'm looking to be poking around in that area this weekend, and found this trip report very helpful:

LINK

He mentions lots of campsites and has tons of photos. Click the "map" link at the bottom of the page to see what his route was. I believe he went on both trails you're asking about.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

He did, perfect, thanks. I wish I had the patience to write up trip reports that detailed.

Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

Thats all I remember, a long steep climb of switchbacks out, then a nice plateau medow, then a longer, more gradual climb.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools