Topic

pack weight creeping up

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists pack weight creeping up

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    John Ben

@aristotle_man

I hear the mosquitos are pretty bad there. I just dont know if I should bring my mosquito net or go buy a noseeum net.

When you cook in your pot, what do you usually make? I was thinking rice and instant potatos would make a great energy packed meal that doesnt weigh much and takes up little space. But I dont think my esbit tabs can actually cook food. I think I might be limited to keep on boiling.

Michael Cockrell

@cal-ee-for-nia

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA

The whole range of the central Sierra Mt. seem to be hit hard with flying "WNV" winged meanies!

I was in the Ebbetts Pass (Hwy 4) area several weeks ago, and planning on same this weekend. You stop for a map-check, water break, etc. and your swarmed!

Must be the late rains we had, and the last few weeks of storms.

I did not take enough bug goop! Going to bring both clothing spray & DEET! May even throw in my head net.

Boy! Am I glad I hike in REI Sahara long-sleeve shirts and ALWAYS in long pants.

TIP! I sewed on an extra sleeve button just below the shoulder to have a second height to raise my sleeve. Do like the under-arm zippers.

Matthew Richardson

@redmatt

Locale: Midwest

John-

If you are looking to get a new tent to lighten your load I would be willing to purchase your TT Double Rainbow. PM me if you are interested.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> "Skip the camping stool"
    > Im thinking this might be nice to have to give my legs a rest

This is where Backpacking Light has a big focus: on all those items the shops want to sell you but which are quite emphatically NOT needed.
    Make no mistake: by the end of the day I like to give my legs a rest too. I do that by reclining on my air mat while I cook dinner. No extra weight involved.

Cheers

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> > I dont know where I would keep my razor so that it wouldnt poke holes in my gear.
    > Put a piece of duct tape over the blade.

Better still: wrap a bit of stiff card around the blade and then put duct tape over that. Keeps the blade clean. You can even put a drop of olive oil or something on the inside of the cardboard to stop any rusting.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Another good razor knife storage gadget is a one-inch piece of clear hydration tubing. You just poke the blade in until it sticks, and the tubing is clear so that you can see that it is a sharp blade. You don't want to have to go feeling around for these things.
    –B.G.–

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

If you are unwilling unable to leave many items at home, the only other option would be to buy some new gear.

I would vote for a backpack. A comfier backpack that is lighter than your Deuter would be very worthwile having.

simon hackett

@minimalgear

Locale: UK

"Skip the camping stool"

Im thinking this might be nice to have to give my legs a rest every now and that and keep my pants clean and dry. I dont know if thats worth 18oz though.

How about carrying a sit mat. It can be carried in an outside pocket and used whenever you want. It can double up as a cozy for a dehydrated meal or mobile insulation in your sleeping bag.

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

You need to go weigh that Exos on a digital scale. Your 58 is more than 2 lbs 4 oz, heck your 46 weighs more than that, closer to 2 lbs 5 oz (Just like mine did before I started taking things off).

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Everett Vinzant
    BPL Member

@wn7ant

Locale: CDT

"Hand soap and sanitizer? Bring sanitizer. Clean your hand with water and then sanitize. Or wash with soap and drop the sanitizer."

Respectfully a better idea is to get .5 oz of hand soap flakes (these are thin sheets of soap that you use one of each time you wash your hands), and a small (1 oz) sanitizer dispenser (there is one for sale here at BPL that is Benzelkonium Chloride (sp?) and won't dry out your hands like alchohol does). It is a BAD idea to rinse your hands and use sterilizer. It is not effective enough to replace handwashing (so say the medical journals).

Dump out the extra bug spray into a container you can store it in. Last time I went to the optomotrist I got a 1 o.z. spray bottle of glass cleaner for my glasses. Since I didn't use it in a year, I emptied it, let it dry, and put 100% DEET in it. There are 1/2 oz bottles available as well.

You mentioned using your camera instead of the binoculars, but were concerned about batteries. How many batteries can you bring and still be under the weight of the binocs?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Instead of a stool, I use a Z-rest sit pad which extends my sleeping pad at night and helps with my frameless day packs too. CCF pads are great on breaks, with a big tree or a river boulder for a back rest. For a lighter option, a nice square of tyvek will keep your bottom clean and dry and can double as a doormat for your shelter– something to kneel on while crawling in.

I think you can find a better pack than the Flash 30 that isn't terribly heavy. The cottage makers will get you the lightest. I use a GoLite Peak which is 27oz/770g and has lots of padding. You could "operate" on it and drop the weight a bunch. There are many others. Seek and you shall find :)

Ignore the sub-5-pounders– they live in another dimension :) It's a lovely goal to aspire to, but then there is the reality of hard ground, foul weather, bugs and all the rest.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools