Topic

1.25oz tyvek question on a bivy, tarp and tent and aquaseal glue

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 1.25oz tyvek question on a bivy, tarp and tent and aquaseal glue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Got it from quest.

I was going to build a bivy sack top and bottom with the stuff, but after getting the material it looks a bit flimsy on one side for the bottom.

One side which I would assume would be the strongest and most waterproof, does not have much fiber/paper on it and is strong/tough film.

I would think that should go out.

The other side is a weak, poly fiber/paper layer and can seperate from the other side. Not sure how much abuse or what it would take to seperate in say a thru hike.

That has me thinking I should build the bottom out of the bivy out of 1.1 oz silnylon and the top out of tyvek with the soft paper side inside.

I think like that it would last a couple of years.

As far as the tarp, I dont know. I guess the soft side should go underneath with the less absorbent side on top.

Think I will skip the tyvek tent for now. Takes to much time to put one together, so I will end up building it out of better materials.

As for glue, I tried out some mcNett aquaseal glue and holy smokes is that stuff strong. So far I have glued tyvek to tyvek, tyvek to silnylon, silnylon to cuben and it is one strong glue. The only downside is its gooey. You might be able to thin it with something for a brush on application, but have not tried that yet.

All the 1/2" glued joints I tested were stronger than the material.

I think you could actually glue together a backpack with this stuff, straps and all, and it would hold up fine.

Scott Van Doeselaar
    BPL Member

@vandoe

Locale: Southern CA

Troy,

>The only downside is its gooey. You might be able to thin it with something for a brush on application, but have not tried that yet.

I have not tried thinning the aquaseal, but it can be brushed on with those cheap acid brushes with the bristles cut down to about 1/4". This is what I use to put the two layers of tieout together. Brush needs to be fairly stiff.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools