Topic

forced out of ul

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    hunter nelson

@hunt4car

im going out to Yosemite with a realy nice family thats been backpacking for years. they are driving me out and even feeding me.
    so they told me i would need boots and i told them im shoes only but finaly got some light boots
    now they want me to bring a tent not a bivy.

please share any experiences like this

and should i haul aroung this tent or just bring a bivy
    (they say structured shelters may be required)sp

Art Sandt

@artsandt

I had an experience like this. In high school I came upon some of the older kids smoking grass out behind the dumpsters. They offered me a joint, but I told them I was fine breathing my clean air. Having never smoked before, I told them I was anti-drug only, but then I caved and took a hit or three. Then they convinced me that I needed to buy a nickel sack and I stood there irresolute.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Find out the rules about shelters for yourself, don't rely on the word of traditional hiking zealots. They don't get you. Burn the boots and hike your hike, but eat their food! If they carry the food you can have a pretty light load. They'll just say "oh, whats 6 more lbs when you already have 65" and you'll say "see ya at camp."

-Tim

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Unless you are sharing gear, I say HYOH and bring what YOU want to bring.

If you're sharing, then you might have to compromise. :)

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

bring the UL things you are used to using, if you need a tent then share one as needed. its far better to carry a couple of extra pounds than to have tension and issues with the group. as you are the guest on this trip, try to go with the flow.

this summer i went on a trip like that with some traditional weight hikers and found some things to be a bit annoying to me, but i tried not to sweat the small stuff and just enjoy being out there. it was hard for me and i later realized that the extra weight and mulitple stops and endless advice were really not that bad. as an UL hiker, you are probably faster than them, so adjust your thinking and pace to slow it down. when they need to stop for a break and you still feel ready to go, just relax and enjoy the quiet outdoors.

good luck

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

… and this is why I have been backpacking solo (with a couple exceptions) for 40 years.

:)

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My suggestion would be to sit down with the people who are kindly taking and feeding you and talk about what's going to be shared and how it's going to be divided up. Tactfully communicate that you will do your share, but you will be also"hiking your own hike" when it comes to personal items. Personal is whatever isn't being shared.

If you have lighter options than what they are planning for shared use, offer your alternative, but be gracious… especially since they are taking you. If they go for it, great, if not you have to ask yourself how much you value the shared time with your friends vs sticking to your ul principles.

There is no where in yosemite that I know off that requires structured shelters.

–Mark

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

um, there are things that are sacrificiable and fully understandable to share on some trips if you really have to. But… If you've done a lot of hiking in a UL manner, stick with what works for you. I wouldn't sacrifice your comfort or safety, because someone thinks your lightweight shoes aren't sufficient enough for the given conditions.

I'd definitely agree that you should sit down with them and discuss everything gear wise with them and make sure you explain to them the who, what, when, where and why you carry the gear you carry. Some people just don't understand and probably never will understand.

examples…
    Boots give me blisters, which is one of many reasons I don't wear them. I carry a light pack cause my knees suck and I like to be balanced and uninhibited by the factors of cameling in a crap load of unnecessary gear…

hunter nelson

@hunt4car

you guys have helped so much it was nice to get a few difernt ideas, it seems there cool with the bivy but very sceptical of it… as expected :)
    thanks guys!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools