Topic

soaking wet feet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Elena Lee
    BPL Member

@lenchik101

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)

please share your ideas on how you guys keep your feet dry in rainy conditions. i just returned from a 3 day trip in cascades, wa, and it rained at least twice a day. the rain itself is not as much of a problem, but the wet vegetation that rubs against your legs and feet. my feet got soaking wet in mere 5 minutes, and walking in soaking shoes makes easy blisters and extremely sore feet. i know there was a similar posting somewhere, but can't find it now. i'm thinking of the following remedies, and/or combination of (please comment on these)

-buying goretex or event lined shoes
    -wearing waterproof gaiters
    -wearing waterproof sock/liner
    -spraying my shoes with DWR
    -seam sealing my shoes with silicone sealant
    -bringing extra pair of dry socks
    -switching to sandals when it rains and ground is wet
    -taking a temporary refuge while it rains

i used to hike in ca and az prior to moving to wa and i don't have much experience with wet (rainy) weather. anyone?
    thanks!

Dave T

@davet

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

“-switching to sandals when it rains and ground is wet”

I of course vote for this one since this is what I use 10 months of the year.
    Heat, moisture, & friction combine to cause blisters.
    I wear the sandal with a coolmax sock. Socks do a great job of wicking sweat from the foot underside and minimizing the smell. I’ve hiked in swamps/marshes/mud for days. The sandal-sock combo allows the foot to vent fast thus eliminating heat. Cinch the sandal tight when walking thus eliminating friction. Loosen at a rest spot so they feel like slippers. Now all that’s left is moisture—- but so what! That’s not enough alone to cause blisters. However, to minimize prune feet (which softens the skin and makes more prone for a tear/crack/rip) sleep with no socks or dry socks at night. Sandals dry fast so in the morning you’ll be putting on dry footwear.

Other notes:
    1. Buy about 3/8” to 1/2” longer. This minimizes/eliminates stub toes.
    2. Athlete’s Foot will disappear. No more powders!
    3. I’ve had bad experiences with close-toe sandals so I will only promote the open toe sandal. Your toes need total freedom when backpacking— especially up and down hills/mountains.
    4. If the sandal doesn’t feel comfortable in the store, don’t get it.
    5. If your feet start sweating in the sandal, in the store, don’t get it.
    6. After a little practice, bushwhacking and scree crossings becomes no problem (with the right sandal).
    7. Your sandal is also the camp slipper— thus saving weight.
    8. Just plow through the river. Your sandals will dry in about 30 minutes of walking.

May everyone find their foot zen :)
    -Barry

Ryan Hutchins

@ryan_hutchins

Locale: Somewhere out there

I simply bring some big plastic bags for my feet in camp. I am always drying a pair of socks (on my body) that I can put on then the bags over those and the wet shoes over the bags. I then dry both pairs of hiking socks on my body at night and wear a thicker wool sock as a sleeping sock. This pair of socks NEVER gets worn outside of my bag so I can always get 8 hours of warm dry feet, thus preventing immersion foot. I don't have any issues hiking in wet shoes, and actually prefer a light mesh shoe to anything with leak-tex or it's equivalent because the mesh shoes will dry way faster (often while hiking). Take a look as END shoes, which use no interior padding that would absorb water. I spent about a month in a pair in the Gila this spring, crossing, wading and swimming rivers and pools almost everday, they were awesome.

Aaron Zuniga

@gliden2

Locale: Northwest

I like to wear Merino Wool liner socks when i know my feet are going to be geting wet. These dry much faster than other socks i have worn, they're lighter, and don't smell as bad at the end of the day=) Another plus is they give my feet a perfect amount of room in my Inov8 Roclite 315's. which are kinda narrow. This is my warm weather foot system and it's worked great! I add some Hydropel in the morning, and dry socks in the evening and my feet are stoked. I would skip anything made of goretex, or has a goretex liner. When they get wet, they STAY wet. Bad idea if fording frequent water crossings, or when you know your feet are gonna get wet. Find some breatheable TR's that work for your feet and hiking style; your feet will thank you in many ways=)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools