Topic

TIM MARSHALL NEEDS YOUR HELP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals TIM MARSHALL NEEDS YOUR HELP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

new site enLIGHTenedequipment.com

-Tim

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .
    Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

thanx Chris.

-Tim

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Tim,

Wow! Awesome website and great gear! I'm sure I'll be ordering from you at some point! :) This is exciting. Another source for great UL gear. Very cool.

Kendall

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Tim,

Congrads on the new site/venture. I'm sure you'll be a sucess!

George

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

It's the same thing i've been doing. I just wanted to have a place for people to get more info. I'll keep working on it and who knows, maybe eventually it won't suck.

-Tim

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Tim,

The site's really impressive. You're going to be very successful. Also, your prices are good and so is the quality. I've seen what others have posted about the gear they've gotten from you. You're going to do very well.

Kendall

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Thanx,

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

-Tim

P.S.
    Not sure the forum is working right so if you try it and it fails you could send me a message about your experience with my gear and i could quote it in a customer feedback section. I just need some feedback first.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Hey Tim, nice site! I wish you the best of luck with it.

Small suggestion: it would be great if you could put up a few examples of what people can order and how much it might cost. eg. simple 30F quilt = around $X, SUL cuben 20F quilt = around $Y. Obviously the costs are going to vary from job to job, depending on what people want exactly, but it's good to know a ballpark figure.

The $20/hour figure is very reasonable but not very informative… not many of us have a good understanding of how many hours it might take to make a quilt or what the raw materials might cost, for example.

Anyway, just my 2c!

Cheers, A

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

In the photo section i listed what the quilts cost. But really it is hard to say since each job is so diff. I do plan to offer in the future the option to just pick and item, say a quilt and choose the options you want and get the price quote right there, or have them listed. I just have to nail all my pricing down.

-Tim

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Oh, I didn't go to the photos page. I visited pretty much every other link tho! Maybe you should mention on your "Rates" page that there are some examples of prices on the photos page.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

i just added some stuff to the rates page on your advice.

-Tim

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Cool, works for me. =-)

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Glad to see you're selling your stuff!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

well i have a site. i still need customers. sam?

-Tim

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Good luck with your endeavor Tim.

A gear swap site has someone looking for daypack pack covers. I sent him your URL.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Bookmarked.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I have worked with Tim Marshall on a couple projects with the latest being a quilt conversion.

I had Tim convert a WM Apache GWS into a cold weather quilt. I was very pleased with the end result.

Top View

Bottom View

I had Tim remove the Apache's hood, full length zipper, the zipper draft stop and the collar draft stop. The conversion weighs in at 26 oz. The quality of Tim's work took nothing away from the WM high standard of excellance.

This was a fun project and Tim was great to work with.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

The WM Apache looks great. I would love to see a close-up of the new edges of the quilt.

I'm in the market for a suitable bag to send to Tim.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Tim
    best of luck.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I appreciate you taking the time to give me some constructive criticism.

I agree with most of what you said but can only fix some of it. My site is hosted by webs which provides templates for the site's appearance. I can't change (or have been unable to figure out how) the font and location of the TIM MARSHALL OUTDOORS. I am also stuck with the photo. All that will change when i get around to making myself a custom template, but for now i am stuck with what is given.

Not sure i agree with the need for quilt explanation (talk about adding more words!) Anyone who is visiting my site is coming from BPL, http://www.suluk46.com/ or directly searching it. I think most of those people are pretty UL savvy. I am not trying to convince anyone to become UL, but if they know what they want i can make it.

I agree with the need for more of a "mission statement" and less speeches on the home page, it's like i have 2 about us pages.

I appreciate your ideas and will work more on the site as i find the time.

-Tim

P.S.
    To all?

How important is the URL? Should i invest in TIMMARSHALLOUTDOORS.com or is it fine as it is?

Or should i name it instead of being lazy?

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

It all depends on your goals, of course, but I think naming your site/company definitely has an impact on how likely you are to receive orders, as does having a set list of products for people to choose from.

There definitely seems to be a niche in the market for lightweight down quilts, and you would be, I think, the only person offering a cuben/momentum UL quilt. So make *that* a particular product, (customizable for size, of course) and suggest *that* as the premier product your site offers.

You should have more success naming your products and site (branding, it works!) and doing that should increase your sales. Of all the cottage industry sites, I'd say MLD is an example of a great site and Oware is an example of a poor one.

–Nate

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

… you should register something short and memorable, like timsquilts.com, don't do a hosting deal, just have them do a redirect to this site. That way it is, like, $10 a year, you have all the advantages (easy for people to say, oh yeah, check out tim's site, timsquilts.com, rather than having to remember a long site name)… just my 2cs!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

thanx for the feedback.

i updated the home page a little, it needs more time than i now have.

any feedback would be welcomed

-Tim

Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

Locale: New England

Hey Tim, I think where you are going with the site is great… but you might want to work on how you craft your sentences. They are not poorly constructed; just a little wordy! I think one of the most professional ways you can present yourself is to have succinct, well-worded explanations – you want each paragraph to be short enough to keep someone's attention span, yet at the same time you still need to fully explain and sell your product.

Watch for things like beginning two consecutive sentences with the same word, or taking multiple sentences to convey a thought that could be reworded into just one sentence.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools