Topic

JMT 2009

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT 2009

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Larson

@jonathandlarson

Locale: Orange County, CA

Any tips or suggestions?

And yes, I know that my backpack weighs way too much, that's why I removed the pack from the frame and am tying everything on (which is working quite well). I'm still in the process of getting a lightweight pack.

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

It might be beneficial if you let everyone know when you'll be out there….August? Sept? Late September?

How about maps, camera?

I'd also take an extra pair of socks. My first pair got shredded out there last year.

Jonathan Larson

@jonathandlarson

Locale: Orange County, CA

Early August, and yes I do have maps, just forgot to include them.

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

I would add a light weight insulated vest or jacket for those cold mornings. I used pretty much what you list for clothes except that I had added a Montbell under vest (5 oz). I used it about half the mornings under my wind shirt. From the Evolution Basin on south, you are high and it can get cold. I saw a measured 25° several times; in the Upper Basin, at the Rae Lakes and at Guitar Lake for example. Also, I would take both the instructions for your Steripen and some Micropur-type purification as backup.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

If the shirt you hike in is wet from sweat or rain, don't you want a dry long sleeve shirt or long underwear top to wear at camp? If it gets below freezing, or even a wet 40, you might want gloves or mitten or at least shells to cover all of your hand? Liner gloves under fingerless gloves also help. Cold makes my finger tips numb and useless.

This might help with your shelter set:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/poncho_tarp_techniques_gear_inclement_conditions.html

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools