Topic

3.6oz cook kit, lighter version of below

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 3.6oz cook kit, lighter version of below

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

3.6oz without the fuel bottle.

For bag cooking. This will boil just over 3 cups of h20.
    Takes 1 TBSP per cup of h20 +1, IE 2.5 cups takes 3.5 tbsp of DN alcohol. Thats at sea level and H20 at 65dF.

Added a silicone coated locking bail handle to the 24oz Heineken can/pot. Got rid of the pot lifter. Changed the burner cone so I could pack it better and its lighter. Fill with a flip top bottle. Found my spork, but for bag eating I prefer a spoon.

From left to right…
    Windscreen
    12 oz heineken can for tea and coffee
    24oz can/pot with locking bail.
    Velcro strap
    1/2 microfiber dishcloth
    Spork
    Pot stand
    Stove with burner cone.

Photobucket

Packed, The windscreen goes in the 24oz pot, everything else goes in the 12oz can. The 12 oz can goes into the 24oz can upside down and the stove sits on top.

You still might want a glove.

Photobucket

The windscreen is more to control the burn rate. With the cone its impossible to blow out.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

With a plastic cup. Has the same as above, but with a lid for the big pot, cut down 12 oz Heineken can for coffee and tea and a plastic soup container as an eating or drinking cup. Less fuel container

4.8 oz

Photobucket

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Troy, I like the way your system nests. You might want to fiddle with the stove for fuel efficiency, though: my Caldera and Ti-Tri use roughly 1.5 TBS to boil (as little as about 1 TBS! and in cold weather or water maybe 2.5TBS)the same amount (2.5C) in same conditions. But I didn't make it, either!

Cheers-

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

These stoves are tricky. The reason for 3 holes on the inside are to keep it from getting too hot, while the larger ring on the outside catches enough heat to let it fire off.

Tricky balancing act. If the holes are smaller, it blows less fuel, but holds more pressure which lowers the boiling point. I had a couple that would run away and blow flames like a blow torch.

I have tried so many designs its not funny. Some are perfect and very efficient for 1 cup of h20, like 1.5tbsp/1cup h20, but they do not work so well for 2-3 cups and visa versa.

I can make one that will boil fast and not so efficient or boil slow and more efficient. This is somewhere in the middle and it works well up to 3 cups of h20.

So far this one seems about the best balance, but it would be nice to build one more efficient, like a 2.5TBS to 2.5C h20. A lot of that has to do with the container too. This 24oz Heineken can is efficient on this stove, but my feeling is that a 12 oz can would work even better for just a cup. I tried this stove with my old sigg aluminum 2L pot and I could not get the same short cook times and moderate fuel use.

Although aluminum heats up quick, it also dissipates heat efficiently so when its a big pot, its going to be a lot less efficient.

An insulator around the pot would help if I can find one that wont torch.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools