Topic

Clove hitch vs. Prussik for PCT bear bagging?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Clove hitch vs. Prussik for PCT bear bagging?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Okay, so after years of using the counter balance bear bag method, I just tried the PCT (practicing in my back yard). I'm sold–far easier. But the one-handed clove hitch tying is a little annoying.

So I tried attaching the twig to the main cord with a loop of thinner cord and a Prussik knot. Just pulled the food bag as far as it would go, then slid the Prussik up as far as I could.

It seemed to work great and was much less fiddly than tying a clove hitch–I prob. could have done it in the dark with gloves on easily.

My question is, because this seems like such an obvious thing to do, and because I haven't seen it mentioned before, there must be some problem with it. The extra loop of cord does add a trivial amount of weight–about 1-2 grams–and is a bit less "simple." And I was using a 5# test bag, with braided nylon main cord–would a lighter bag and/or Spectra line allow the Prussik to slip?

Help me see what's wrong with this idea.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

The simple slip knot is easiest to tie one handed.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Perfect.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Clove hitch tying while under a load (what I do):

1. Take stick (or extra stake, chop stick, etc) in right hand, reach over head, place stick parallel and left of cord, wrap upper end of stick around cord (back to right to front), turn stick perpendicular to cord (stick now has a single loop of cord around it); now you can control load with stick in right hand using right thumb on cord

2. With left hand (thumb down), grab cord below stick, turn hand up (thumb up), place loop on left end of stick

3. Tighten your clove hitch

For removal, it's best to use something smooth like extra stake, dowel, chop stick, skewer (?sp).

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

Great idea. Much easier in the cold dark night.

To the gentleman who suggested a tool to remove the clove hitch: try just breaking the twig.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools