Topic

Feedback/Ideas Please: 3-5 Days, Northeast Solo Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Feedback/Ideas Please: 3-5 Days, Northeast Solo Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

Hey! Would love feedback on my new gear list. Likely doing AT and other trail sections in the Northeast, 3 season… BW comes in at 9.8lb. Would like to hit maybe 8lbs. Ideas? Feedback?

My Gear List

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Didnt see any rain gear, hat or clothes etc.

You might want to look through my list. Its pretty extensive. Some of the items are heavy, so you can strip a lot of that out.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArT1lVGeXD9EdEtac3NPM2JtQU5Jczk5dWNaS1BZVVE&hl=en

scott burgeson

@drdystopia

Locale: Upstate NY

I am not sure you will need bear spray in the NE.

Also I do not know the warmth of the layers you listed but could you use the same insulating layer for both hiking mid-layer and sleeping?

I use my dishrag/bandanna as a pot holder as well but I can see how a actual hold would be nice.

The rest of this list looks awesome.

-scott

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

You could probably cut back on the cook setup and do a brawny type setup since its only a few days.
    I think her entire cook setup weighs like 3.4 oz

If you are traveling that light you should be able to find a much lighter pack, like 5-6 oz. Quest makes a 10-12 oz kit.

Some items I carry in my pocket and those dont go into the total. Bear spray should be on your belt anyway.

All that should get you down to 8#

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Looks pretty solid. I also question the bear spray. Do you really need it? Your pot makes an excellent bowl… ditch the bowl, and while you're at it, the weight you report for the kettle should be stock w/handles… so ditch the pot gripper (or the handles if you love the pot grip).

I think it's cheating a little ( ;P )to consider your fleece a "worn" item when in reality it'll usually be in your pack. But hey, it's your stuff and you get to carry it, right!?

You should be able to do some judicious strap trimming on your Jam and lose another few ounces at least… there's a thread going on the subject right now. Could also shorten the hydration tubing a bit while you're at it. Seems like there should be a few more places to cut weight, but…

Cheers-

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Bearspray is not needed anywhere in the Eastern USA. In Canada, maybe? ( I don't know where it's needed in Canada.)

Just a reminder, in parts of the Adirondacks bear canisters are required (eastern high peaks), and they can be rented. If you haven't been there the Adirondacks are highly recommended.

For summer you won't usually need this much warm stuff, except possibly the White Mountains or Adirondacks in bad weather.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

James:

I really like what the above posters have said, so I won't expand on their comments. You can reach your 8lb goal rather easily! Three things though…

Knife: If you want to carry a more substantial blade than a tiny Swiss Army knife, then the Gerber LST (belt clip ATTACHED) is less than half the weight of your Gerber

Jacket: Which Ascent do you carry? Their are several. Weight? A puffy jacket from Montbell or BPL's Cocoon line may be lighter and pack smaller (I use both). But the Ascent may be what you need – I don't know.

Bug Repellant: I know bugs can be horrible in the northeast, but you should be able to get by with less than an ounce, especially with your headnet.

Great list! I am jealous. I haven't broken under 12 lbs yet!!!!!! Ugh. (I'll post my list for feedback soon.)

By the way: As a father of three girls, I totally get the picture thing! Sound like a great Dad.

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

Thanks all… great feedback… here's what I changed:
    1. Ditched the bear spray, keeping the hanging kit and OP SACK
    2. Ditched the fleece – I'll just wear my sleeping insulation jacket if I get cold
    3. Switched the pocket knife for a lightweight utility knife
    4. Ditched the pot grabber
    5. Reduced amount of bug spray and aquamira drops
    6. Ditched the plastic bowl (use the kettle)

One thing to investigate… Lighter pack (but I love my golite jam!!!)

Gear List V2

The ascent jacket I have is EMS's version of the patagonia insulating sweater (I think the patagonia is 11.5oz). I couldn't find a patagonia one to try before I bought and found this one in my local EMS's end of winter sale for a REALLY good price. Just used it high in the Rockies a couple weeks ago… super toasty at night with my quilt!

Cheers, James.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

James, lookin' good! One other thing to consider is both obvious and not… your diabetes kit. Obviously it's necessary. My best friend and hiking/traveling partner is also diabetic; there are some things you just have to have. However, take a close look at that kit. You might be able to save 10-30% of the kit weight simply by changing the blood machine case. Maybe a lighter blood machine? Starting a trip w/strips condensed into one vial? Etc…

Cheers-

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools