Topic

Shining Rock Wilderness Trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Shining Rock Wilderness Trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

My brother in law Josh and I took a quick trip to the Shining Rock Wilderness in North Carolina. The SRW is about 30 miles south west of Asheville, NC. Area is busy from late spring to early fall, but then becomes deserted when the Blue Ridge Parkway closes. Best camping is late fall to early spring, but still a great place in the warmer months.Me on Black BalsamArt Loeb Trail ViewView from Shining RockMountain StreamCampsiteLower falls in Graveyard FieldsView from Mountain to Sea TrailMe on Sam's BaldView from Sam's Bald

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I've almost never run in to people during most seasons there. I guess I must be avoiding the busier trails. It's a beautiful area though and the closest thing you'll get to above tree line hiking in the SE.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

Some of my favorite places are all similar:
    – Shining Rock
    – Roan Mountain
    – Grayson Highland/Mt Rogers
    – Max Patch
    – Big Bald

Seem to all have something in common. I also enjoy forest hiking, but hard to be those long open views.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools