Topic

Free SLOT – Wilderness Trekking School Sep 18-20

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support BPL.com News and Info Free SLOT – Wilderness Trekking School Sep 18-20

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Random +1.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Why not disqualify all BPL people and donate it to some needy inner city youth?

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

Random Plus yet another

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Whew!

All the ideas are good, and I am exited to be a part of this process.

I feel like we (at BPL) need to get a tidy plan in place. Someone is going to need to make travel plans and organize their time away from home.

So – keep the ideas coming, and review this page (and download the PDF)
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/wilderness_skills_i.html

Keep an eye on this site, we'll announce a plan that feels fare and fun.

It'll happen soon!

cheers from the rockies,
    Mike C!

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

Seems like this would be a good chance to introduce lightweight backpacking to those who haven't yet tried it.

My suggestion is to post the information on some other backpacking websites, like backpacker.com, whiteblaze, etc. Make it an essay contest, with the applicants describing why they NEED the course. Make a word limit.

While it would be neat for someone from this group to win it, I think this is too good an opportunity to get a little awareness out to keep it totally in-house.

If we have the capacity of setting up a poll (even an outside one that could be accessed from this site via link), the staff could choose the top 10 and then let forum members vote on the winner.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Taking the original intent down the trail a bit…what about starting a general scholarship program. It could be as simple as a paypal account whereby people either donate or sell gear on the swap with proceeds going to the chosen beneficiaries?

Jack H.

@found

I like the idea of a scholarship program. But it strikes me as goofy for people to pay for scholarship spots for a for-profit outfitter.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

There's that idea of "preachin' to the choir," which makes me wonder about giving the slot to someone active in our community.

I think that the most potential for good to come from an open/free slot would be to get an adult Scouter in there. We all know how heavy Scouts tend to pack. If you could find someone who has a reputation for being actively involved with Scout backpacking trips in your area, transportation costs could even be pretty minimal. And then that Scout leader could come back to the troop, the kids, the adults… teaching them about lightening up.

Yup, that's it… Find an active Scout leader, maybe one whose troop is gearing up for a Philmont trip next year or something.

Cheers-

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

>I like the idea of a scholarship program. But it strikes me as goofy
    >for people to pay for scholarship spots for a for-profit outfitter.

One can still be "for profit" and "for a cause." A good book on the subject is Yvon Chouinard's book: Let My People Go Surfing. Additionally, just because you are "for profit" doesn't mean you make a profit. As goofy as it may seem, many people are happy to support business-sponsored programs which share values and go above and beyond to do so and it is no conflict of interest to have a fund set up for that cause. I understand your concern, thus let's suppose a scholarship here could work better with matching volunteer services or other provisions (such as gear) from BPL. Obviously, by the very nature of this thread, they are willing to do so.

(I speak to this as a fellow, "for a cause" business owner.)

Jack H.

@found

And donating money to Patagonia so they could give jackets away would be goofy.

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

Just curious if the slot was given away, and who was selected?

Pam

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I'm too old and decrepit to keep up with you folks. Besides, I insist on my TP! And that weekend I'll be backpacking (slowly) with folks from another forum. I can think of some worthy teenagers but they'll be back in school. I presume that the winner will have to pay his/her way to Montana. That leaves me out of ideas this late at night….:-)

If there's a way to give this slot to someone who could not otherwise afford it, I hope you'll do so!

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Well, I'm not too proud to say it. I spent all last year planning on taking the 7 day course. Then the economy went into the crapper. Not sure I'll have a teaching job to go back to in the fall because 4,500 teachers lost their jobs. I'd love to take it!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Give it to a soldier's kid in the area who's into backpacking and whose mom or dad is currently deployed to either Iraq or Afghanistan. You could work through a local MWR office on a nearby installation to make it happen. Or your local Guard/Reserve unit (Guard and Reserve kids would be a great choice, as many of those families don't have the kind of support families around an installation do, but their moms and dads are deployed in harm's way as well.) But you'd better hurry, time is running out!

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

As a veteran, however, I have to acknowledge that Douglas has a great idea.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

http://www.mwrfortcarson.com/

I'm not sure if part of 4th Infantry Division is still deployed or not. I think they just got back. I know that the 10th Combat Support Hospital is still deployed.

I'm not sure how you could find out about NG/Reserve families. Sorry. You would probably have to somehow identify a local unit that is deployed, then contact the unit directly.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Douglas –

What can I say? That is genius!!!

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

I am in a position to make inquires and find out information if this is something you want to pursue. You can contact me through my work Email rather than my PM address to make this happen.
    No pressure intended –Just volunteering to help because I can.

[email protected]

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

If you're looking for milittary kids I suggest conctacting the folks who run Operation Purple Camps. If you don't know this is a program where kids experiencing deployment get a free week at a summer camp with other kids going through the same thing. I helped out with one last year and it was awesome.
    If thats a rabbit trail I know a couple of deserving boy scouts or someone from a therapuetic program who could take the knowledge back.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Great idea Douglas- one small problem…
    the "Kids" need to be over 18 years…

"The minimum age for participation is 18 years. Minors are allowed on some courses if they are accompanied by a parent or guardian."

Maybe we can come up with another idea to help out those kids?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Hi Tad,

Not really a problem. There are certainly kids 18 and over living at home who have a parent/parents deployed. I'm old, so I use the term "kid" very loosely! To me, anyone under 30 is a kid. (And 30-45 are puppies :-)

Take care,

Doug

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Well Doug if we go off of behavior I would count as a kids too. Let me see what have I been up too lately? Playing in DEEP mud with a bunch of kids, painting my face with charcoal, eating worms etc.

Seriously though theres only one spot so I like the idea of giving it to someone who could use the knowledge to help other, someone like a director of a summer wilderness camp or a therapeutic camp(my old place of employment comes to mind) or a Scout Master headed to Philomont. I think that would do more good than just taking one guy out.
    Lets not forget time, whoever the lucky one is will have to book a flight etc.
    Happy Hiking,
    Luke

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Hi Luke,

Good ideas, but I'm not the person making the decision! :-)

I think every idea put forth so far has merit. I like them all! I just decided to throw one more out there to add to the pot!

Take care,

Doug

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

That may be Douglas, but it's a really, REALLY good idea! And, I agree that there are kids 18 or a little older still living at home. These days a lot of kids in their 20's and 30's are still living at home for economic reasons! I also qualify to use the term "kid" rather loosely. :)

The shaved head hides male pattern baldness and the mustache is, maybe, half black, naturally. Let's just say it's just for men. Know what I mean?

What's really important is that you have put forth a truly, outstanding idea!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

That's very kind of you Kendall, thanks!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools