Topic

Free SLOT – Wilderness Trekking School Sep 18-20

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support BPL.com News and Info Free SLOT – Wilderness Trekking School Sep 18-20

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I'm feeling generous and want to give away a free slot in one of the courses on the weekend of September 18-20.

But I'm too tired to figure out a neat and fun way to do it.

What do you guys think? How should we give it away?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I think it should go to the oldest continuous member that has never been on your staff.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

I think it should involve a fair amount of effort so that you know that the people participating really want to be there. It shouldn't be writing a paper or anything cause that's just too lame, but it could be something more along the lines of a photo essay.

I think people should submit photos of what they WOULD be doing during that weekend if not on the trip. Whoever comes up with the most creative way of showing that they need to be spared from those days and swept off their feet to the Wilderness Trekking School should win. Perhaps a paragraph explaining why they deserve to be saved should accompany the photos.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

The BPL member that catches the largest fish using a tenkara fly rod in the month of August while on a UL trip. (think any user but me)

or

The BPL member posting the nicest Trip Report, limited to trips taken recently. (with a word and picture limit).
    (think Tony)

or

The BPL member posting the coolest recent MYOG project.
    (think Bill or Steve)

or

The BPL member with the heavest posted Gear List shown as part of their Community @ BPL Profile.
    (I hope not me)

or

The BPL member having the time off work and resources to attend.
    (is there one out there?)

or

The BPL member providing the most give away ideas.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Some sort of lottery or raffle. $5 a ticket. Money from tickets goes to charity.

Random = fair.

Robert Bryant

@kg4fam

Locale: Upstate

Give it to the person with the oldest commercially available backpack that they are willing to use on the course.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Dave H,
    I prefer effort over luck but I would buy a $5.00 ticket to show support.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I'm stoked. Great ideas.

Another: what if a bunch of people who wanted to go posted a gear list, and then you all sort of voted (not really a vote but you get the idea) for the gear list that's like, "WHOA, DUDE! YOU'RE TAKIN' THAT KIT? Sweet, I wanna see THAT in ACTION!"

Jay Well
    Spectator

@jwell

Locale: Willamette Valley

I, like Thom, prefer effort over effort over luck. I also think that some sort of contribution to the community would be great. As a "mostly lurker, sometimes poster" I appreciate all the contributions from people on the forums and would like to see someone rewarded for their efforts.

Also have to keep in mind that it is an introductory course that is in MT so there is some other logistics/costs that the winner would have to work out. I would like to see it go to someone that is not only deserving, but one who would actually be able to go and get the most out of it.

I would like to see an essay contest of some kind where the essays are posted and then voted on by the BPL community. Would have to be a pretty short turn around time, but could enrich the community and give a deserving individual and fantastic adventure.

Robert Bryant

@kg4fam

Locale: Upstate

No, you can buy your way into a tricked out gear list. Make the person earn it.

Photo contest of whoever has carried the most ridiculous thing to the top of a mountain. Things like the Dartmouth canoe going up Mt. Washington and there was a guy that took a Watermelon to the top of Katahdin.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

I'll take an anvil to the top of Mt. Marcy if someone will fly me to Montana.

So, there's that…

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Due to his great contributions to the BPL community, I say offer it to Bill Fornshell.

b hitchcock
    Spectator

@slowoldandcold

another vote for bill

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

vote for bill

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

I like the idea of it going to either Tony Wong or Jonathon Boozer.

Tony for the generous way he shares the trips he takes via his web reports and photos.

Jonathon for the generous way he shares his gear closet.

Either of these are likely to benefit a large number of members. I'm pretty sure that Tony would respond with a fantastic article (which is the best advertising you can look for, even with the disclaimer of a free trip) I'm also fairly sure that Jonathon will sell a heap of gear to pay off the airfare, and that benefits a bunch of us as well.

In fact the more I think about it, the more I think you should offer them both a gig!!

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

I would have to vote for the Cuben Fiber King Bill as well.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I will throw my name in the hat if there is a spot open….What a great opportunity to learn from the BEST!!!

And I can get the time off!!!!Very important….

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I think Bill could win a WHOA, DUDE! YOU'RE TAKIN' THAT KIT? contest.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Shouldn't make the mistake the People's choice Awards make every year . . . Find out who can actually attend before having a contest. Myguess is that most of us maynot be able to get two weeks off work even if there were a free course involved.

EDIT: Two weeks isn't needed for this course, just a weekend! Give it away!

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

I just got back from one of the three day weekend courses… awesome. I think a photo essay contest would work well. It should not be for "insiders" it should be for anyone who is willing to work at it whether they are new members or have been around for a while… how about a creative trip report from a 3-5 day backpacking trip, taken in 2009. You could publish all the entries and have members rate each one… highest average rating wins. Could assess the essays by "lightweight lessons illustrated" and/or "content creativity" or such.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ryan, given the economic times this is a great gesture. I don’t have a super fantastic idea on how you could give this away, but here are some of my thoughts about what has been presented:

If you give it to the best MYOG guy, then the best gear list guy will miss out,
    or the best Food Girl(s),
    or the lightest pack person,
    or the guy who sells the most gear,
    or the guy who gives (free) the most gear away
    or the guy who buys the most on the gear swap,
    or the guy who post the most to chaff,
    or the person who has been on the forum the longest,
    or the guy who spends the most time on the forums,
    or……

good luck on singling out someone from the above- they all deserve it.. and many others that I haven’t mentioned.

BTW, I would be happy to drive the 10 hours from Seattle to attend, but I don’t fit into any of the categories above .
    Edited 7/21 Maybe I fit- the guy who reads the most posts without commenting

Dave T

@davet

> or the guy who post the most to chaff…

Whatever you do, don't do that! :)

Whoever it goes to, it would be good to see if they could actually benefit from it. If it's the intro course, I'm sure lots of people around here are already at/past/way past that level. Might be good to give it to someone who could really benefit – where it would be more of a quantum leap in technique.

A. B.

@tomswifty

Just make it a random contest giveaway. One entry per person who is interested and wants to go.

JIM SEAMANS
    BPL Member

@joeknee123

WOW!! Here goes my first post to anything ,ever, and I am 50 years old. I am a backpacker from way back and basically quit 2 decades ago partly because everything was too heavy.A year my friend asked me to take him camping. I told him we had to go light. Last August we went to Heart lake in Yellowstone with 35-40 pound packs. This April I planned a trip to Paria canyon/ Buckskin gulch with packs about 27 pounds. After that I discovered BPL and got hooked. Now it's a personal challenge to reduce weight. We recently went to the Adirondack High peaks where I carried 22 pounds and was quite happy. Now the good (BAD)part. We have been planning a trip to Denali for about six months and are scheduled to leave on August 13th. I told my friend that I wanted to take one of your seven day courses, but our Alaska trip conflicts with your August and September trip. Then 2 days ago while on a full gear practice hike for Alaska I slipped and fell down an embankment and landed on my back in the middle of a creek. Yes, I broke my back(really good pain pills allow me to write this)L1 compression fracture. Er doctor says I have nice square cubes, that this is a stable clean break and should heal well. I am truly happy that I can walk and talk. But I'm bummed about Alaska cause I have ruined it for both of us. So I nominate my friend for the class because I messed up his trip. But he is a high school teacher and could not go. Besides I really need the benifit of your knowledge now. I think that I really will NEED to govery light now. So if it's OK I nominate me. I believe I reallly have a lot to learn from you guys and expect to be around here a long time. Thanks Jim

Jerry Cagle
    BPL Member

@xclimber

Locale: Southwest

Random. Parallel nature. Simple

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools