Topic

Waterproof topo map printing service?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Waterproof topo map printing service?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

Has anybody used a service that prints your maps in smudgeproof and waterproof condition from the GPS coordinates or map route you provide them?

Were you satisfied with them and would you recommend them?

I can replicate my topo routes on waterproof paper, but my printer isn't always giving me the detail in smudge proof form, and I assume a professional service would have the highfalutin equipment I don't have for a better job.

Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

I have used the topo kiosk to make a waterproof topo a couple of times in REI. The scale can be adjusted, when 1:24000 you will never get a map as big as a quad, they are uaually like 1/3 a quad in size. Ideally I would get a quad and fold it and stick in a mapcase.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I think I used a company called MyTopo.com once, but then I moved near an REI and just used their kiosk.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

REI have a kiosk for this? do tell more please I would love to pass the info onto a shop I deal with here, in Australia.

Cheers

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

I just used Mytopo. You can do 1:24000 and print a really large map to cover a decent area, far more than the largest sizes available at the REI kioks. It's expensive though, about $30 for the largest size on waterproof paper.

I'm going to have to check my local REI – they used to have a kiosk several years back but got rid of it. I'm hoping maybe they brought it back since you guys all say your REI has one.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Yeah, well, the REIs I'm referring to are the flagship in Seattle and the branch in Tacoma… :o) I've been in Europe for the past couple of years, using local maps.

I thought you could use MyTopo for about $15. Has the price gone up?

Mark-

Yes, it is basically a high-grade printer stocked with large sheets of waterproof mapping paper, and a computer running some version of a commercial mapping software with a touchscreen interface. It was USA only. I think it was based on a modified version of some commercial map software, like TOPO, or something.

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

It might be $15 for the smaller sizes. The size I got is huge…!

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

Do they just print out a topo map of the area?

I've inputed a route on a topo! map, and I want them to print it out as I've traced it.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Not sure- never tried it. I would imagine that if the route was traced on the print preview that it would be printed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools