Topic

Long distance hiking with shin splints

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Long distance hiking with shin splints

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Hi all,

I'm about to go on a JMT hike in two weeks and I had recently come down with shin splints – I believe from walking quickly along a slanted rocky shoreline (pronation issues from the slant?) for about 5 miles, about two weeks ago. The pain is almost gone, but is still there (I still have that squeaky/creaky feeling in the tendon area), and I don't want to reinjure myself hiking 15-20 miles a day. Any recommendations to avoid reinjury? Should I tape the leg for prevention's sake? I'm not too concerned with futher pronation issues, just inflaming the tendon further.

Thanks!
    Chris

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I new a guy that hiked a long ways w/ shin splints. He tapped them up. Seemed like he was in pain but it worked.

His legs:legs

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

I hiked the JMT last year and had to deal with a shin splint on my left leg from Donahue Pass on. It really hurt at first but gradually got better. By the time I reached Mono Creek I had pretty much forgotten about it. Just take it as easy as you can. It also helps to soak you lower legs in cold creek water whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools