Topic

new lightweighter looking for good tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) new lightweighter looking for good tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John Ben

@aristotle_man

Hello all,

Im new here and was wondering if someone could recommend a lightweight tent that is really easy to set up and take down. My sleeping bag is an 18oz 900 fill marmot so I need to keep it as dry as possible. What do you think is my lightest weight solution?

Do I need a tarp to prevent water from seeping through the floor?

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

How much do you want to spend, and where do you usually hike? Fall, winter, summer? How many people? There's a pretty new thread on here showing off one of Henry Shire's new Tarptents that looks pretty interesting.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

MSR's Carbon Reflex tents (1 or 2 person capacity) have very waterproof (10,000mm) floors which is significantly better than most SilNylon tents I believe (I think they are in the 1000-2000mm range).

Also, since they are double wall tents you don't get condensation from the tent walls on your bag. These tents are definately going to keep you dry and they are extremely light. The 2 person is just under 3lbs and the 1 person is about 2.5lbs.

I have the 2 person version and love it.

John Ben

@aristotle_man

Thanks for the suggestions! I will be using the tent for 3 seasons and it will be 2 people. The MSR tent looks great but a little on the small side. Im 6'1" and 200 lbs so I have doubts as to whether I could fit in there with someone else.

Are there other double wall options for 2 people that are lighter than the MSR?

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

The Scarp 2 is 54oz and should be big enough to fit you and another person in. Its a beautiful tent, with two entries, which gets handy at night if someone needs to heed nature's call.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools