Topic

Bishop Pass to Lamarck Col

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Bishop Pass to Lamarck Col

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

Great trip – report & more photos to follow, but wanted to get some up asap.irisbeginken@bishoppassme@bishoppassdaveantimosquitogoldenunderwater1goldenunderwater2me@muirpass

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Keep em coming!

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

darwinbenchdarwinbench2upthecolupthecol2upthecol3upthecol4descentdescent2upmuir

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Nice Cary! I will post some pics as soon as I can!!!!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Long Lake

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Kayakers heading over Bishop Pass

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Snow below Bishop PassBishop Pass

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

How does Tony post pics one at a time instead of like these????????

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Looking over towards Napsack Pass in Dusy Basin

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

The Black Divide

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Heading up to Muir Pass

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

North Lake
    North Lake Trailhead

Asceding Bishop Pass

Snow at Bishop

Asceding Bishop Pass
    Ascending Bishop Pass

S side of Bishop Pass

D basin

D basin

D basin
    South Side of Bishop Pass/ Upper Dusy Basin

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

You guys did a awesome hike-That region is spectacular- I did it a few years back and I am heading back the first week in August…I am doing Humphreys Basin-Bear lake Basin Loop about 45 miles starting at North Lake….Nice!!!!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Nice pictures guys looks like it was a good hike. I've never seen yellow and orange walking bananas in the wilderness though. COOL Hey Cary how did you get such nice pics of the fish under water? Jack

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Muir Hut

This one is for Jay!

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Kayakers

We ran into some Kayakers at the base of Bishop Pass who were spirited enough to hike over the pass with their Kayaks and gear, through Dusy Basin and down LaConte Canyon. The destination was the Middle Fork of the Kings River. For all self their promotion, this is the only video I could find of those crazy SOB's. It is from last year but it has to be the same group since the people we ran into also said they ran Upper Cherry Creek.
    Kayak Video

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Great video but those guys are straight-up hard core crazy!

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

thought I'd share this, rough form as it's in. I had a lot of trouble on this trip with elevation sickness – I've had my share of issues the last few years, and perhaps this trip was over ambitious in some ways for me. I was lucky, very lucky, to have two trip partners who were alert, aware, accommodating, easy going and sympathetic – Dave and Ken, I really, really can't ever thank you enough for helping me through a couple rough patches and being there. At times I felt great, which only magnified the times when things became very challenging very fast for me – you two guys really made it possible for me to finish this trip and changed my perspective somewhat on what matters, and it is exactly who you are that matters. It's people, friends, like Dave and Ken that make the trips – the challenges, the beauty are all essential and amazing elements, but it's the human element that makes the trip, that makes it a life experience. Thanks guys.

So Alive

I've never felt so vulnerable, so weak
    so alive
    the mountains, thin air, ice fields, boulders
    the pounding sun
    all at once magnificent
    stark
    gigantically gigantic
    immesurably unbelievably vast
    grey stone granite rock, lasting
    age-d
    cold

I look back down and there they are
    keeping me going
    Dave, much younger and stronger
    staying behind
    compassion I never knew at his age
    only strive for now
    he's making sure
    he's keeping Ken in sight
    and me in sight, in check
    pacing me from behind
    and there is Ken, too
    with a smiling nod
    we are all here
    all climbing, climbing, climbing
    heart pounding, pounding, pounding, pounding
    and there is that last lake
    before the big climb
    ever smaller, ever smaller

gasping
    I climb in front
    amazed at what I do
    especially after my earlier troubles
    but I'm not in front to race
    not to race Ken or Dave
    only time
    a race I know can't be won
    I don't tell them
    about the irregular heart beats
    racing
    the dizzy, nausea
    up here, out here, this far
    the cold stone and frozen snow
    and miles left to go
    so far
    so cold

Up, up, up
    to the top
    it's not my day to die
    which is a joy
    I cannot lie
    many miles to go
    i think of Frost
    many more miles to go
    each step one more in time
    each step is mine
    for now

the stone, the sky, the rock, the ice
    the vastness and beauty and timelessness
    watches on
    it's not my day to die
    i've never felt so vulnerable, so weak
    so alive

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

One of the harder trips that I have done. We all as a team did very well. This was one of the greatest trips that I have done. Still think about it, even a few weeks after this trip. Thanks for the compliment Cary, and yes the company was great huh!!!! Ready for the next adventure!!!

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Cary, proving once again you are a physical specimen,a gentleman and a scholar. I still don't know how you bounced back after each of those nights with altitude sickness but your poem suggests you were feeling it a little more than you were letting on. The last day I didn't even want to ask you were doing and break your focus as your scouted the path, powered over the Col and finished off the last few miles in a hurry.

This trip will truly be difficult to top. Ken and Cary, you guys are both class hiking partners and friends. I look forward to next great adventure.

As a side, I am still working on putting back on the 3 lbs that I lost on this trip. More snacks for me next time.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Cary, after reading what you posted again, I have to say that, your post was one of the more heart felt posts that I have read. This trip pushed myself (and I think all of us) to the limit. What I came out of this was a different perspective in how I approach trips. You see, I am an impatient person and that leads to being impatient while hiking. Waiting for others, listening to what others say while route finding (I am always right BTW) and listening to myself helped me be a better hiker. The night you woke me saying Amigo, I am sick, brought myself into a place that I have never had to be before. I am glad you trusted me in your care, and I am glad that as a group we were capable of taking care of one another. I was amazed to see you the next morning bouncing back and ready to continue the journey. I must add, that I was VERY ok in terminating the trip and heading back home. Sometimes other things are more important, and of course, not messing with someone's health is. You were a trooper on the last day, and I stand in awe of how you conducted yourself. You see, I did not want you heading the other way and exiting on the western side as you were planning. I was more inclined to keep you with us so that we could self police and make it through. As bad as your were feeling, it was amazing to watch you hump up Lamarck Col and power through to the trailhead. Amazing, absolutely amazing. I hope, and I mean, I really hope that there are more epic trips like this to encounter. It was by far, my most challenging and enjoyable trip that I have ever done. I learned alot about myself. Even at 45 I can do that! Thank you!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools