Topic

New Tarptent ;this is the Moment !!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Tarptent ;this is the Moment !!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 176 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.
    Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

So what is it? A Scarp mated with a Squall?

Further inspection…….so it's kind of a single wall Scarp, correct? And here I was just wanting a Sublite, but with a vestibule.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Think that coupling's still illegal in Texas, Joe. Might wanna check with the authorities before sending off for one…

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I don't need a new shelter. I don't need a new shelter. I don't need a new shelter……..

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Don't need one either but…….

Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

Is that a single side bugnet?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

All of the details are on the Moment page at TT, but here are most of them..

Solo shelter, 28 oz including pole and two stakes.
    Can be freestanding with optional longitudinal pole, 7oz.
    18' sq, 6.6' vestibule, 84" long ,40" high.
    5' high bathtub floor , can be raised or lowered depending on preference an weather conditions.
    There is a mesh guard at the end so that your bag will not touch the wall.
    Two top vents. Should be really easy to set up, only two pegs required.

Yes, it borrows from the Scarp as well as the usual TT trade mark floating floor.
    Lots of ventilation options, including the closeable "ends" , a floor that you can raise above the mesh level and increased side ventilation by sliding the fly up the pole.
    Should please the ones that find the Contrail/Lunar Solo fiddly, the Rainbow hard to seam seal and those similar EU tents hard to set up taut.
    (read this last sentence with a smile)
    Sean
    Like the Rainbow the door side is mesh , the other side has some mesh "foot guards" so that you don't push against the fabric.
    Franco
    http://www.tarptent.com/new.html

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

lol @ Nate

Cool looking tent.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Just have to keep the curtains drawn, Nate….

Stuart Allie

@stuart-allie

Locale: Australia

Oh great just what I need – another option to choose from! :) I'd only just narrowed it down to the Contrail or the Lunar Solo and now this turns up.

Seriously, this looks to have real potential. I'll be keeping a close eye on this one.

"Henry Shires" must be a pseudonym for a collection of tent-designing artificial intelligences. Either that or he never sleeps. Keep 'em coming Henry!

David Stapleton
    BPL Member

@kamperdave

Locale: VA, DC, MD

Stuart – I was looking at the exact same shelters when I heard there was a new TT coming out so I waited… Blast, now the decision just got harder.

-Dave

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Three radical new shelters again within one year. The Shires Skunkworks is running in overdrive. That Henry is evil, I tell you. EVIL.

We need a few interior photos, especially of the ends.

Can sliding the canopy be done from inside the tent or must one venture out into the storm?

Looks like it got to market before SMD's new VAMP – the promised larger version of the Lunar Sole E.

John Lovell

@ursushorribilis

"Oh great just what I need – another option to choose from! :) I'd only just narrowed it down to the Contrail or the Lunar Solo and now this turns up."

Pretty much, however I was trying to decide between the Rainbow and Contrail. I even called Henry yesterday to make sure the Contrail was still in stock (not right now, but next week they get another batch). Drat! What is a poor boy to do?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I really like how it only requires 2 stakes…I guess you would add more for wind/weather, but still a neat idea.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

So with the optional pole this ends up being a more weather stable Rainbow correct? Something that could have a larger range of seasons? And I wouldn't have to use any stakes? For 2 pounds roughly. The question is now, will someone that is 6'5" fit? That is what I need to know.

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

While I like what Henry has done, I'm thinking it isn't quite the thing for a tall person (I'm 6'5"). The floor may be just long enough for me, but only 20 inches wide at the ends. I have a tough enough time fitting onto a 20" sleeping pad, so the lack of width at the ends is a concern for me.

On the other hand, it seems somewhat streamlined in design and thereby likely to be able to cope with some wind. Using only 2 stakes is clever. Even if he doesn't always design with me in mind, I'm a fan of Henry's work.

David Ure

@familyguy

I think the floor plan is a triangle – think Akto or Lunar Solo. Because of the cross pole with part covering the vestibule, the other end of the pole covers the footprint. So in fact, Unless you are 84" long, you're head will not be squeezed into 20". I bet even for the tall it will be 30 plus inches. The width is probably something like 36" in the middle.

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

Looking at Henry's website, the photographs and the dimensions for the floor seem to show a symmetrical floor plan (20" wide at the ends and 40" at the mid-point. Assuming I could stay evenly spaced (77" tall, that would leave 3.5" at either end…and most likely not much more than 23" wide.

While I'd love to get inside one to try it out, that's unlikely to happen. I'll stick with my Contrail…at least until I see a Vamp (from SMD).

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

From Henry,

'Not sure about the height question. We have an employee who is 6'2" and he can sit up and lie down comfortably. Same floor length as most of our other models and it will certainly fit a "long" sleeping bag. Optional pole is/will be $15.'

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

It looks like a Scarp-trail to me. (Or maybe a Cont-arp…)

I just bought a Rainbow after heavily contemplating the Contrail for my somewhat UL trips. And now this! Henry just wants to keep me coming back for more. I like the free-standing option for camping on rock.

David Ure

@familyguy

If the Scarp is similar to the Akto then this is similar to the Terra Nova Photon….except better in every way.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

I have just updated the webpage with a link to show some cutaway views and dimensions. They should help answer some questions about space.

-H

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

And I had just convinced myself to get a Sublite. Oh well, the Tyvek would probably still work better in our heat, for shade. But it is tempting.

Nice cutaway. I'm kind of surprised that it wasn't made more asymetrical, where the widest part of the floor was closer to your shoulders. Seeing as how I'm fat in the middle, I guess I shouldn't complain.

That's a lot of tent models for a small company. Anyone want to bet which tent/tents gets dropped?

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks Henry for the Cutaway pics. As I guessed – triangular shape. Nice.

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

Great. I haven't even seam sealed my Scarp and now Henry has a new design. Mmmm, do I really "need" a 5th Tarp Tent?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 176 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools