Topic

Moded Eureka Solitare

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Moded Eureka Solitare

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I am in the process of building, more like planning a roomy 2# UL tent and I thought I would get some practice by modifying my existing Eureka Solitare tent. Bought it for $35 at the Eureka outlet. It turned out to be a good bit of work, but its probably easier than starting from scratch.

For those that dont know, its a 2 hoop bivy style net tent that needs to go on a diet. Has a permently attached Rain fly you can roll back, and some crappy FG poles that frequently break.

I started thinking about this mod a while back, and after designing about 50 different tent styles in cad (I am an architect so we get carried away sometimes..) I finally came up with a 2# simple 1 man tent design with a cathedral sort of shape so I can sit up, cross my legs and wide enough so my shoulders will clear the walls. Sort of an ergonomic design around my 6'-3" frame.

I decided to apply that idea to this mod.

After my 3rd attempt at reconfiguring this tent, this is the plan. I have it set up temporarily as an A frame so it will work and it is taught with no other mods.

1. Rip the seams on the front and back sleeve pole holders.

2. Remove the permenantly attached Fly

3. Sew it back together with partial sleeves or hooks to go around the poles.

4. Get rid of the FG hoop poles (junk anyway) and turn it into a cathetral shaped A-frame tent to use carbon fiber poles. They will end up at 3-4 oz. Cathedral shape is done with a 90 degree top pole fastener from quest and the poles slightly long enough to create a side arch and stretch the floor.

5. Build a super light Poncho fly from Spintex or cuben.

Weight of the…
    Tent body 20oz
    Titanium Stakes 1.5 oz (this tent came with steel stake, Gak)
    CF Poles 4 oz. Alum superlights would weigh 5 oz
    Fly/poncho/tarp 4-7 oz depending on material.

Totals around 30-32 oz

Options, leave the other rain gear at home, omit the poles at 4 oz and fasten the top of the tent to a tarp etc etc

A Campmor extended poncho tarp will cover it, but it weighs 9 oz.

Will post pictures when I finish it.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools