Topic

Suggestions: a mug, a pillow, a bandana

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Suggestions: a mug, a pillow, a bandana

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Erik Graf

@vango

Locale: Southeast

Just about every hike I go on I learn something new, learn I need a change, or have to replace an item.

Need the following items – requesting any suggestions if you can find me better:

Mug: Lightest possible. Need it to hold 16 oz / 532 ml. Have to be able to cook in it. My search leads me to the Snow Peak Titanium 600 ml cup.

http://www.snowpeak.com/back/mugs.cups/single.html

Pillow: Maybe it is my age, but my WM bag stuff sack cramed with clothes and anything I can find isn't getting it done any more. My search on this forum leads me to the Mont-Bell pillow

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=33&p_id=1124290

Bandana: my bandana bit the dust this past weekend after 10 years. I was thinking that I had seen one which had diagrams of knot tying on it. I get rusty on my knots so thought this would be helpful to me out in the hills. Can't seem to find this item in my searches. Any suggestions on this? A first aid printed bandana would be nice as a compromise (seems I've seen these – if mistaken, who wants to go into business with me making "information" bandanas! Ha, Ha!!! Dibs on royalties)

Any help on these items is appreciated in advance.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

For a pillow, I really like the FlexAir dual chamber pillows. Cheap and half the weight of the Montbell (which doesn't suit my neck for some reason). Just don't lose your straw!

Can't help on the other items.

Erik Graf

@vango

Thanks Lynn. I purchased a pack of those and gave them a go. Worked good enough but they got nasty looking pretty quick. Something more permanent I guess – but that is a good suggestion. Thanks for your input.

Michael Febbo
    Spectator

@febbom

I very much like the Granite Gear Pillowsack- the fleece exterior prevents the sack from moving and is very comfortable against skin. The more rectangular shape provides more surface area for your head/neck and uses pack space more efficiently. I believe mine is around 2 ounces, and is multi-purpose.
    I was surprised how much better this was compared to regular stuff sacks.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

I use a Heineken can for a pot and it weighs 1.2 oz total (with lid). Total volume of the can is 25.4 fl oz. You can go with a Foster's can if you want something even lighter, but it is not as durable as the Heineken can. As for a bandana, I use a Buff because of its versatility and I highly recommend them.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

For solo trips I also use a Foster's setup (Caldera Keg), which doubles as a mug with included 'lip guard'. It also comes with a 'caddy' which makes a great mug/bowl combo, but if you pack the can carefully you don't HAVE to carry the caddy. The Foster's/Heine can is not as durable as the SnowPeak, but cheaper and easy to replace…

I too use a buff instead of a bandana, and put my FlexAir pillow inside the buff at night to keep it from getting gross!

sheila o
    BPL Member

@bumpass

Locale: The Far Left Coast? : /

1)My JetBoil pot is my mug, not UL.
    2)A stuff sack that folds at the opening and becomes airtight works great to allow adjustments in firmness.
    3)generic Buff online for cheap is very versitle.

I think you can get the bandanas you speak of from NOLS.
    Cheers

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

I've been looking at getting a Buff but am waiting until I can find one locally.
    I also just picked up a GSI lexan bowl/measuring cup with screw on lid. I havent weighed it yet but am looking forward to useing it. Seems like a really versatile piece of gear – I can use it as a cup, bowl, and to store food. Do need a pot though, but nice otherwise if sharing a stove and cooking/rehyrating/sharing seperate/shared meals

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Mug: Esbit HA aluminum
    (missed the 16oz/cook thing. I would just go with a ti pot with handles– your pick.)

Pillow: Mont Bell

Bandana: extra large size cotton traditional

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

I went from using a platy wrapped in clothes to a Cocoon travel pillow and am loving it. They make it in a few sizes and in goose down and synthetic versions. I have a medium down version and it's 11" x 15", 86grams (3oz) and compacts into a little stuff sack (provided).

I double it over with my neoair and it's like being at home.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

I believe REI carries the Buff:
    http://www.rei.com/search?search=bandana&sortby=Price+%28Ascending%29&hist=query%2Cbandana

A lot of time the gift shops at National Parks/Forests/Monuments will have those cute knot tying or first aid bandanas.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Snowpeak 600, double-chambered water wing, shop towel

Have that forty knots bandana and I'm sure you can find it online. Think I got mine at Boy Scout National Headquarters.

Joseph Morrison
    Spectator

@sjdm4211

Locale: Smokies

I use a SnowPeak Trek 700 kettle. I don't think I would go much smaller then that.

My bandana is orange. I figured it would be a good signaling device. I have seen plenty of bandanas with knots, survival advice and maps. All would be useful.

Sorry I can't be much help with a pillow. I usually use my shoes or a stuff sack full of clothing.

James Castleberry

@winterland76

A comfortable pillow is a critical component and essential to a good night's rest. I prefer Equinox Armadillo. It's 10 oz., $9.99 and feels more like a "real" pillow than any down pillow I have tried. It has some type of synthetic fill. Air pillows just don't cut it for me, unless it's wrapped in fleece jacket or down jacket. That's fine, but a fair amount of time, I'm wearing my down jacket with my Ultra 20 quilt under a poncho tarp.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

I just put whatever has no good reason to be out of my pack into my pack, and that turns out to make a good pillow for me.

— MV

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to one thing: I like to sit on a pad during breaks and in camp. I carry the Thermarest LiteSeat (3.6 ounces). It fits in an outside pocket of the pack and inflates with just a breath and then I can sit on almost any surface in comfort.

I also use my LiteSeat as my pillow by opening the valve, folding it in half, and then tightening the valve again. I then put it in a stretchy polyester textbook cover (almost silk-like and less than .4 ounce) that I swiped from one of my daughters. It gives me a pillow with pillowcase that's about 7×10" and over 3" thick.

I tried the BPL dual-chambered pillows but they just weren't as comfortable as my LiteSeat pillow.

Aaron Lastname

@cloudveil9

I recently experimented with making a pillow such as Roger Caffin details in this thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=20906

I made several in different sizes, firmness and weight combinations trying to find the right balance. In the end it seems that I was not able to get the pillow below about 4.5oz without it being too soft. However, at that weight it's perfect…And it feels like a real pillow, maybe better.

Erik Graf

@vango

Very much appreciate everyone's responses. I've gotten some good ideas, some unique ideas, and more options.

Thanks.

If anyone has anything else to add I'd be glad to hear from you….

Millette Jones

@ttaboro

Just picked one up at Campmor a few weeks ago for 24.95, looks like this place has it a couple o bucks cheaper.

http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/products/2743/Snow-Peak-Titanium-Singlewall-cup-600.html

Holds 21 oz. and weights 2.8oz…no lid but foil weighs nothing.

Also, picked up a BRIGHT orange bandana from Walmart for $1, figure I can hang it off my pack during hunting season as a bit of extra insurance.

Can't help you with the pillow as I use an obscenely heavy one (7.5oz) that I love and wont part with no matter what anyone thinks! ;-) FWIW- It's a Slumberjack camping pillow that I modified from 12.5oz. but it's soooo comfortable!!!

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

walmart camping section

there's a air pillow w/ a piece of memory foam. i tossed the memory foam and blow the pillow up about 1/2 way. cost $6 but isn't nearly as 'cool' as having a pillow from montbel or WM

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools