Topic

How to pitch a tarp: what do you think of this method?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique How to pitch a tarp: what do you think of this method?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

I found this video online yesterday and was really impressed with this method for pitching a tarp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMmla9DSzo&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebushcraftnorthwest%2Ecom%2Farticles%2Farticles%2Ehtm&feature=player_embedded

What do you guys think of this?

Would it work with trekking poles in the set-up?

I just bought my first tarp, so I'm looking to learn the best way to set one up.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

There is at at least one article on pitching tarps at BPL. The video posted above shows fairly complicated knots that are probably not needed.

Theron Rohr
    BPL Member

@theronr

Locale: Los Angeles, California

That's a good video about creating a taut ridgeline. I like this one which shows how to do an a-frame with trekking poles. He also does a great half-pyramid – makes me want to learn that one – when I get some grip-clips for my tarp which has no center tie-out on the long side :(

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

>>There is at at least one article on pitching tarps at BPL.

Links?

>>The video posted above shows fairly complicated knots that are probably not needed.

I disagree. Those knots aren't complicated! As to how necessary they are, I'm not sure, but his ridgeline was super-taut and his guy line system looks pretty efficient.

Theron, thanks for the link. Video looks informative.

Theron Rohr
    BPL Member

@theronr

I'm new to tarps also but so far i've used taught-line hitch, clove hitch and bowline knots. I also got some of those nite-ize figure 9 aluminum do-dads. They're good because you can actually haul down on them to tighten something. More so than a taught-line hitch which i would consider more of a "line length adjuster" than a way to pull a line tight.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "nite-ize figure 9 aluminum do-dads", Theron, but I'd think that you wouldn't need them if you learned how to tie a prussic knot.

The prussic works as a safety for rappelling. If you use one in your rappel set-up, you won't fall if you let go of the rope for some reason. In other words it's like a "one-way" knot that you can really haul down on.

Dig it:

http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/index.php

That's a double fisherman's at the end of the rope that the prussic is being used with.

Edit: sorry, got the names mixed up. The prussic knot allows you to climb the rope should you need to. An autoblock is the safety for rapelling.

Oops.

In any case, you take my meaning: you can haul down on the prussic.

Theron Rohr
    BPL Member

@theronr

:nite-ize figure 9 aluminum do-dads

I did learn the prussic knot – it's very similar to the taught line hitch. what i meant by haul down though is you can pull the rope towards yourself, getting leverage from the figure-9 thing and then just hook it round to tie it off. When you tighten a prussic or taughtline knot you have to hold the line under tension yourself and then slide the knot forward. it's not really as good imo.

But I know that buying little gadgets to do something that you could more or less get away with using a knot for is not the kind of thing that BPL member should really be doing :)

[edit] in other words the figure-9 thing replaces the truckers hitch the guy in your video did – it allows you to pull on a major guyline. so far i've just used one figure-9 on my front trekking pole support to get the whole thing nice and tight.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

That's cool. I think I'd rather not introduce more complexity into the system though. And it looks like it'll abrade your line over time.

Thanks for the link.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

> in other words the figure-9 thing replaces the truckers hitch

What is your objection to just using a trucker's hitch? Done right, it is easy to tie, works well, and is easy to untie when you are done.

— MV

Theron Rohr
    BPL Member

@theronr

No objection to a trucker's hitch. When I got the figure-9s I was imagining I would use 6 of them at each corner and the trekking poles. But I've found that you only need one to pull tight on on one trekking pole. Also I'm more interested in the half-pyramid layout which only needs one pole anyway. I guess I could use a trucker's hitch there. Time will tell if these fig-9 things are just a gimmick for a beginner like me or really useful!

Acronym Esq
    BPL Member

@acronym-esq

Locale: TX

The Bushcraft tarp method took a long time to rig, but allows for quick camp set up, minimal line and stake weight, and pitch flexibility.
    I made a few modifications:
    – almost every guy line (not center) should end in a taut-line hitch to allow for complete tensioning.
    – the anchor loop knot (overhand w/ bite or follow through figure 8) for the shared grommet in the middle should be 6" long to allow the center of the tarp to be tensioned from a perpendicular angle(see A Frame pic below).
    – hanking the rope before folding the tarp is critical to avoid getting all the guy lines tangled, but you don't need rubber bands to do it.

Here are some pictures of pitches I have played with:
    Equinox A Frame Pitch
    Equinox A Frame Pitch

Equinox Rain Fly Over Alps Mountaineering Mystique
    Equinox Rain Fly Over Alps Mountaineering Mystique

Equinox Hoochi Pitch
    Equinox Hoochi Pitch

Here's another fantastic site with pitch ideas: http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/bushcraft-articles/camp/tarpology

My 8×10 Equinox weights:
    363g (13 oz) – by itself
    475g (1 lb 1oz) – rigged w/ 250lb braided nylon catfish line

acronym 7/14/2009 4:32 PM

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools