Topic

ADK end of September

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips ADK end of September

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    daniel drake

@dan-drake

Locale: Colorado Front Range

I'm looking for a partner to do a week in the ADK high peaks at the end of September/early October.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

I'm interested. Any particular dates in mind?

The first two weeks in Oct. are no good for me, but other than that, I'm wide open.

daniel drake

@dan-drake

I'm looking at 20Sept to 27Sept.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

That week could work.

What did you have in mind? Any hikes/peaks in particular?

Might you be interested in doing some rock climbing while there?

N. F.
    BPL Member

@neezydeezy

Locale: ADKs

I was planning a trip for then too, I've never done ADK high peaks but I'd love to. Not sure if three would be a crowd.

Bear canisters are required, right?

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

>>Bear canisters are required, right?

Yep.

>>Not sure if three would be a crowd.

Nope. Not as far as I'm concerned anyway. Daniel?

daniel drake

@dan-drake

Three works for me. Bear canisters are a must in the high peak region. http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7512.html this is the dec regulation on bear canisters. I was thinking about doing Marcy, Saddleback, Big Haystack, Little Haystack, and Basin. All via the Range Trail, but thats only a suggestion. I'm open to anything.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

HOw would you feel about something trail-less? Sewards, Santas, Dixes?

N. F.
    BPL Member

@neezydeezy

Hi, I was wondering what people's current thinking was for this. Any luck getting a car yet Dave? If not the high peaks with Daniel, I would love to plan something for September if you're still interested in a hiking trip (I noticed you're selling a bit of hiking gear in the FS forum).

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

Hey guys, I'm going to the ADKs next week on vacation, if you want someone to do some reconissance of a part of your route for some info, I'd be glad to give it a try.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

I might be game for that. Send me an email: dhorton79 at gmail dot com

N. F.
    BPL Member

@neezydeezy

I should mention that I am just getting into UL-packing – previously I did a lot of bike tours. Unfortunately I did some pretty serious tendon damage on my last bike tour and can't cycle anymore, but I have found that I can do moderate paced hiking trips with a light pack.

I'm not sure how rigorous it would be, but I realize I should try a longer trip to test the knee before I try something like the high peaks. Hopefully there is enough time in between for me to fit such a trip in well before September 20.

Thanks,
    Nate

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Nate,

No worries about just getting into UL. I go pretty light, but I'm not the lightest.

Also, I've been focusing more on climbing than hiking this summer, so my cardiovascular fitness is probably nothing to brag about.

We can plan something as easy or as difficult as you like. Lots of fun options up there in the 'Dacks.

Also, we don't have to do a long hike, so don't feel like you need to get out and get in shape before we head out.

Cool?

Dave

N. F.
    BPL Member

@neezydeezy

Very cool – conversation continued by email.

(Sorry to hijack your thread, Dan – and I hope otherwise your trip planning is going well)

N. F.
    BPL Member

@neezydeezy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools