Topic

4 gram Ti foil pot stand & windscreen

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 4 gram Ti foil pot stand & windscreen

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Robert Miller

@procab

It's on FIRE!

This is version 1.1 of a Ti foil pot stand / windscreen design I made. Unfortunately it has some bugs / features that will prevent it from being deployed in the field. Lets just say it has some stability problems on any surface less flat or firm than my garage floor.

View inside

Here is an inside view showing the pot supports. The entire thing is made from a single piece of Ti foil.

Version 1.0 had a circular windscreen. The creases in the perimeter were an attempt to increase rigidity.

Version 2 & 3 are on the drawing board and should be about 6 grams. Unfortunately I only have one more length of foil…

Robert

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Hy Robert. Cool. I’m amazed that that foil can hold a pot of water even ON a flat surface! Looking at the design though… I’m thinking that a similar design made with the same dimensions out of disposable aluminum cookie sheets with tent stake supports would weight no more than 7-8 grams (not counting the stakes) and be about 4 times more stable. It might melt that close to the flame tho’… so you might have to make it bigger. Mine is 10 grams… but it’s a lot bigger. Check it out if you want… here

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

titaniumgoat.com sells a thicker version of ti Foil that *might* work better for you. Slightly thicker = slightly heavier but probably a better match to what you’re trying to do…

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Very cool!!! This is actually a LOT thicker… like 5 times thicker. The BPL foil is 0.001″. This foil is 0.005″ It would probably be heavier than 0.004″ aluminum cookie sheet foil… but it would be a LOT stronger and more heat resistant… so I could make my windscreen a little smaller to compensate for the extra weight without having to worry about it melting from being too close to the flame… of course… you still need to allow enough room for the flame to breathe… esp. with Esbit.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Actually… I just checked out that site again and it lists the weight… 2.25 oz (64 grams) for a 12″x12″x0.005″ sheet. Ouch. That’s way heavy. What I would really like to find (without having to buy a huge amount from a steel supplier) is 0.002″ Ti foil. The BPL stuff is great for a windscreen alone… but it can’t support any weight (in real world conditions) as a windscreen / stand combo.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

David,
    McMasterr Carr has .002″ Stainless Foil, downside is that stainless is denser than titanium, upside is that it has the same strength / volume. If you don’t want to get a big roll, they sell it as ‘bags’.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools