Topic

MYOG Drawcord Bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Drawcord Bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Cohen
    Spectator

@esteban

Locale: Northeast

Just finished this bivy with some materials from questoutfitters. 1.1oz silnylon floor, 1.1oz uncoated nylon top and noseeum netting. comes out to exactly 6oz on my scale. It could have been lighter with a momentum top, but the nylon was cheaper, and this was my first big project so I figured I wouldn't use the expensive stuff.123

tkkn c
    BPL Member

@tkknc

Locale: Desert Rat in the Southwest

Looks good, how long did you make it?

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Looks nice – what other shelter(s) are you planning on using the bivy with? My gut says watch out for spray on the bivy because of the lack of dwr on the nylon top.

Stephen Cohen
    Spectator

@esteban

It took around 4 hours to cut and sew. I sealed the seems later.
    I plan to use it under an MLD monk tarp that I got here on gear swap. The description of the fabric on quest says that it does have a DWR, but I doubt that it is very "R". I haven't tried it with any rain yet, so we will see.
    I got in it in the backyard yesterday when I shot the photos and it kept the mosquito swarms at bay, but boy was it toasty in there.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Matt, Some [most?] 1.1 oz uncoated nylon has a DWR.
    Try dripping some water on it and see if the water beads up. If it beads up it has a DWR. Some fabric-DWR combos are better than others.
    http://questoutfitters.com/uncoated_fabrics.htm#Uncoated Fabrics has 1.1 oz uncoated with a DWR.

Stephen Cohen
    Spectator

@esteban

I just put some scrap fabric under the running tap and the water was repelled quite well. I even made a little pool and it did not seep through at all. I hope the DWR doesn't affect the breathability too adversely.

John Paul Reid

@reid

Locale: SouthEast

How do you get in that? I have just bought the instructions for this bivy and was wondering if I could tweak the plans for a side opening.

Stephen Cohen
    Spectator

@esteban

I run and dive head first, hoping that I have enough speed to get my head to the other end of it. Kidding.
    I get my pad and bag in there and just sort of start shimmying in. It's not the easiest, but it's also not a huge ordeal. There is enough room in there that I can wiggle myself in without too much hassle. You could definitely add a side zip. I just didn't want to hassle with sewing a zipper. Maybe on the next one.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Good to know. I got worried there for a second.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools