Topic

What are your favorite FBC meals?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition What are your favorite FBC meals?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    George Phoenix

@perrito

Locale: Joisey

I'm looking for some suggestions for freezer-bag meals for my JMT hike next month. I have the book and have gone through the trailcooking.com website, but of course want to glean from all the experience here. 8-)

I think I could get by with oatmeal/pop tarts and Java Juice coffee for breakfast just fine, but it's the dinners I'd like to hear about. Do you think a variety of 4 would do for a 20 day hike?

Thanks!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

George, I am no help here…lately I have been addicted to baked ramen noodle "bowls" crammed full of veggies and meat :-D

(I bought out a store of their last lot of the baked ramen, that is no longer made. Got 130 packs to eat..hehheh!)

I have been making meals for friends hikes this summer and usually I try to not repeat more than once – to keep variety up.

I mix it up as well – a rice, a pasta, a mashers, etc – so they don't get tired of a meal :-)

scott burgeson

@drdystopia

Locale: Upstate NY

I am also very curious what people are eating in their FB meals.

I would be very interested in recipes that do not involve dehydrating your own stuff.

I have only been doing this for a couple of overnights but one meal I made up that worked out really well was this

Stove Top Stuffing
    Freeze Dried Broccoli
    Pouch Chicken

I used a double dose of extra virgin olive oil instead of butter and the olive oil taste really made this great. I also have tried a couple of the Knorr Sides and they are pretty good. Stay away from the tariyaki noodles it was not good.

–scott

David Stapleton
    BPL Member

@kamperdave

Locale: VA, DC, MD

We've just been mixing it up lately, inspired by the FBC recipe book. Basically:

1) any carb base: minute rice, thin pastas, mashed taters, etc
    +
    2) any protein: beans, packaged chicken or tuna, etc
    +
    3) assorted dehydrated veggies: peas, corn, green beans, etc
    +
    4) your own spices

One of my favs is spicy chicken ramen, packaged chicken, a large dollop of peanut butter and your own hot spices. That's pretty much right out of the FBC book and it tastes a lot like a thai dish. Super easy and VERY filling for one dude.

-Dave

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Thai Style Peanut Noodles

Ingredients

* 3 oz package ramen noodles
    * 1⁄4 c peanut butter
    * 1 1⁄2 t sesame oil
    * 1 t soy sauce
    * 1 t diced dried onion
    * 1⁄2 t red pepper flakes
    * 1 T vinegar
    * 2 c water

Instructions

At home pack the noodles in a quart freezer or sandwich bag. Pack the sauce items in a snack size plastic bag.

FBC and Insulated Mug Method:
    Bring 2 cups water to a near boil and take off the stove. Cover the noodles with around 1 1/2 cups, seal the bag tightly and put in a cozy for 5 to 10 minutes.
    Add 1/2 cup water to the peanut mix, stirring in slowly till combined.
    Drain the noodles, toss with the sauce.

One pot method:
    Bring 2 cups water to a boil in your pot. Take out 1/2 cup and set aside. Add the ramen and cook for 3 minutes. Drain off any remaining water.
    Meanwhile add the 1/2 cup water to the peanut mix, stirring in slowly till combined.
    Toss the drained noodles with the sauce.
    Notes

This is an adapted recipe from our first book.

For the soy sauce and vinegar use packets from http://www.minimus.biz or powders from http://www.packitgourmet.com

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I try not to have the same meal twice on a trip, although a couple of my favorites (one is the Pritikin recipe for "Spicy Mexican Lentils" with the addition of brown rice and freeze-dried tomatoes and peppers, and another is my own version of the Lean Cuisine meal "Rosemary Chicken") will be repeated on my 10-day Wind Rivers trip next month. The other six meals will all be different. The same meal every four days sounds really boring.

Most important, try out every meal at home before the trip, after drying. I can tell you from experience that there's nothing like getting out in the mountains and finding that the chicken casserole with peas that you loved so much at home (before dehydrating) turns into a watery, gooey mess with the peas still the consistency of buckshot after 15 minutes of cooking!

Millette Jones

@ttaboro

Locale: Southeast

I'm really into the Thai flavors right now. Coconut, ginger, peanut, curry, lemongrass…you get the idea.

In the regular grocery store asian/ethnic section I'm finding the Taste of Thai, Simply Asia and Thai Kitchen brands have "instant" or "quick cook" items that work well for me in FBC. Also found if I like the sauce of one brand that doesn't have quick cook noodles I can take the sauce packets and sub a pouch of ramen for the noodles. I usually add some extra veggies and a pouch of salmon or chicken or some dehydrated tofu.

Also really enjoy the Nissin brand Tomato Basil ramen. I add extra dehydrated veggies and a powder of dehydrated and ground mushrooms. You could easily add some dehydrated hamburger or other meat but I like this one as is.

Forgot to add…
    At Publix I've found soup cups, Dr. McDougals, I believe. Tortilla, Black bean and lime and a Split green pea these are the type you just add hot water to. There are several other varieties but I haven't tried them all. These are all vegan but could easily be "beefed up" with an added protein.

George Phoenix

@perrito

Locale: Joisey

Good stuff. Thanx! Keep it coming!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

The Dr. McDougall's cups are good. I use them as a base due to being lower in sodium. Add in rice or couscous, some meat, etc and tasty.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Thai Mango Chicken and Rice
    serves 1

1 3 ounce can chicken (or 3 T dried)
    1/3 cup instant rice
    3 T chopped dried mango
    1 T dried roasted bell pepper
    1/2 t dried basil
    1 T coconut crème powder

At home: combine everything in a zip locking plastic bag. Carry the can of chicken seperately. (if using dried, add it with the dry ingredients)

In camp: place bag in a cozy. Add just enough water to cover. Let stand 5-10 minutes. Stir in the chicken and serve.

Rich P
    BPL Member

@montclair

Locale: Lower Hudson Valley

Not the cheapest, but darn easy.

I add a packet of olive oil and 2 diced chicken chorizo sausages from Costco. Makes a BIG portion. Also for added heat, depending on my mood, a packet of Frank's Red Hot sauce, or Tapatio, or a scant drop of Dave's Insanity sauce (stored in a BPL microdropper bottle with the dropper tip bored out). With Dave's, it's best to dilute it with water in your spoon before adding.

I suggest with the K-L sides that you pre-hydrate with 1/2 the water when you hit camp. Then, at dinner time, add the other 1/2 boiling water and cozy until absorbed. Before doing the pre-hydrate thing, I've had the rice remain a little crunchy and soupy, especially in cold weather.

William Lesmerises
    Spectator

@bjlesm

I'll second the Mcdougall cups. Add some instant rice, some dehydrated veggies/meat and an olive oil packet from minimus for an easy to make, high calorie, tasty meal.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Homemade chili, dried, always does it for me.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

the grippos BBQ chips company also makes a seasoning, which i add to my dishes that go with BBQ seasoning, chicken, etc. amazing.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Isaac, got a link? Love to see it!

JR Redding

@grinchmt

is Maple Pepper… most folks outside of New England have never had it. Good on Fiddleheads in the spring.

http://www.maplepepper.com/

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

https://www.grippos.com/

"gourmet seasoning"

hey can you send me your email sarah, pm it to me. I think (may be mistaken) you sent me a book/pdf/something similar awhile back about FBC'ing. I cleared my inbox and lost it. If it wasn't you, can you send me some info anyway, i know your the guru! I am a begininer nad looking for info about FBC. thanks sarah! [email protected]

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

While I don't personally do the FBC thing for many reasons… the meals I make can easily be rehydrated in a freezer bag and cozied. I generally use boiling water in a a Nalgene and cozy it so that I can skip the re-heat part of the instructions.

Minestrone
    courtesy of A Fork in the Trail

Dehydration Time: 7–10 hours
    Serves 4 to 6

This hearty and flavorful minestrone has been one of my family’s favorites for years. Serve it with a piece of garlic bannock.

1 tablespoon olive oil
    5 thin slices pancetta, chopped (optional)
    1 onion, chopped
    2 medium carrots, chopped
    1 russet potato, peeled and cubed
    1 celery stalk, chopped
    2 tablespoons celery leaves, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 cups canned diced tomatoes (with juice)
    1 tablespoon parsley
    1 sprig fresh rosemary
    1-ounce rind of Parmesan cheese
    1 pound Swiss chard, stemmed and chopped
    2 cups plus ½ cup low-sodium beef or vegetable stock
    2 cups cannellini or white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Parmesan cheese (optional)

At Home: In a large pot sauté the pancetta (if using) in the olive oil until it is crisp. Remove the pancetta and set aside. Pour the onions, carrots, potatoes, and celery in the pot and stir. Cook until the onions are translucent. Add the celery leaves and garlic and sauté for another minute. Add the tomatoes, parsley, rosemary, and cheese rind and let simmer for about 10 minutes.

Add the Swiss chard and 2 cups of the stock. Purée half of the beans with the 1/2 cup remaining stock in a blender or food processor. Pour into the pot and simmer until the potatoes are cooked. Then add the remaining whole beans to the pot and heat through. Remove the cheese rind and the rosemary spring. Allow the soup to cool.

Measure the soup and write this measurement on a sticky note. Pour the soup onto lined dehydrator trays and dry for 7 to 10 hours or until no moisture remains. Put the dried soup in a ziplock freezer bag along with the sticky note.

At Camp: Add enough boiling water to the soup mix to equal the measurement on your sticky note. Do not add the water first or you will have too much liquid. Once the soup has rehydrated, heat it through and serve. Garnish the soup with some shaved Parmesan.

Tips: To make this vegetarian simple omit the pancetta. To make the recipe vegan omit the cheese rind and shaved cheese as well.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Isaac,

It wasn't me that sent it but I will drop you some stuff via email :-)

Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

Locale: New England

Instant mashed potatoes plus an alfredo sauce packet plus dried veggies.

And this is not so much FBC but is one of my favorites: mac & cheese plus a tuna packet. I add veggies to this, too sometimes.

Couscous, dried corn, sun-dried tomato, italian seasoning and red pepper flakes, plus an olive oil packet.

Also couscous with dried cranberries, bits of dried apricot, and almond slivers.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools