Topic

Macaroni and Cheese…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Macaroni and Cheese…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

Has anyone tried taking box mac'n'cheese and some powdered milk and margarine powder… I know it's not the healthiest thing, but the calories density is stellar. Of course repackaging is a must. I'm going to have to get a can of margarine powder and give it a go.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I have always done the Mac and Cheese that has the processed cheese that you squeeze out of the pack. Either way…Yep alot of calories!!!

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Well Ken, I guess I've always thought of that as the debutantes mac'n'cheese, but it should would save me some time and effort :P Thanks, I guess I never would have thought of that.

EDIT: I just checked the calories on the velveeta deal though, and it appears to be only 90 calories per oz. I was calculating the powdered with milk and butter at something closer to 126.

Robert Bryant

@kg4fam

Locale: Upstate

Mac and cheese is my favorite dinner when backpacking. Easy Mac is well the easiest since it has the powdered milk and fat substitute. If I use boxed mac and cheese I carry some olive oil for the fat. I have never used margarine powder, sounds worse than the nuclear cheese powder that comes in the mac and cheese. You don't even need powdered milk, just the fat to make the cheese powder work. You can throw some dehydrated vegetables or jerky or all kinds of things in to make it better.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

Note that weight is only part of the concern — bulk is another concern. Macaroni is not very space-efficient.

— MV

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

1/4 cup of dry milk for extra rich (2 Tbsp for less) and a packet of olive oil = good eats.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

And if you use whole fat dry milk you don't need oil. It has plenty!

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Never thought to add powdered milk to it…Thanks Sarbar.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Have you thought about a can of butter powder instead? It tastes better and is quite nice used in most meals.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

If you would like to make your own mac and not use a box, this recipe works well – you can use whatever dried cheese you like:
    http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/diy-fbc-mac-n-cheese

While I note about not using freeze dried cheese in the base, you can always add in some at the end to melt in :-)

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Thanks for the great information guys and gals… I can't imagine anywhere being able to provide me with such insight on the inner workings of trail mac'n'cheese. The fact that I think this is awesome, makes me a dork :P

Robert Bryant

@kg4fam

Locale: Upstate

"Note that weight is only part of the concern — bulk is another concern. Macaroni is not very space-efficient."

So you can only pack four beers instead of six? If you are worried about bulk then you probably need a bigger pack anyway.

scott burgeson

@drdystopia

Locale: Upstate NY

does the boxed Mac & Cheese lend itself to FBC?

I think the elbow noodles would take a loooong time to cook in the bag.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Maybe use the cheese packet but use raman noodles instead?

–scott

Aaron Wallace
    BPL Member

@basilbop

Easy Mac is easy to prepare in a zip-lock bag with hot water. The noodles in Easy Mac are not the same as in the normal boxed product. If I recall, it's about 1/2 cup of water per pouch of Easy Mac. Let the noodles hydrate for a few minutes before adding the cheese mix, then mix and let stand a few more minutes.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Scott,

One trick is to cook the noodles up most of the way, then dry. It does work FBC style after that.

http://www.trailcooking.com/content/making-mac-n-cheese-fbc-friendly

(With photos as well)

Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Locale: Southwest

Hmmmm. Anyone ever try it with Gee (clarified butter), rather than olive oil?

I think I might have to try that – boxed (but repackaged) mac-n-cheese with powdered whole milk and gee… I bet it comes out super rich and creamy…

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Ghee rocks!

(I have a couple how-to's on the website as well on making it, though honestly I often just buy a jar!)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools