Topic

Guy Lines for MLD Poncho/Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Guy Lines for MLD Poncho/Tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Luke

@rluke

Locale: Atlanta (missing CA)

I am in the process of making guylines for my MLD Poncho/Tarp.

My question is: How long do the guylines need to be to allow a good variety of pitching heights without "excess" line?

I am planning on attaching the guylines to mini carabiners to facilitate quick and easy attachment & detachment. I am using the BMW AirCore Pro Shelter Guyline Kit (with the cam-locking tensioners).

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I used the BPL NANO Dyneema guyline kit to make the lines for my SMD Gatewood Cape. I cut the lines to 24" and then used about 3" to make a loop on the non-tensioner end. Rather than using the micro-biners I simply pass my loop through the tieout and then pass the tensioner portion through the loop. I leave them attached if I'm not expecting rain or remove them if I'm likely to see rain.

The Gatewood Cape also has an extra tieout that allows you to create a little additional headroom for which I have a 60" line – you can see it (thanks to other BPL members) in the photo below:

Gatewood Cape on the Allegheny Front Trail

The cord is very tangle-resistant and, when they're not attached, I keep them with the harness in a snack-sized ziploc bag.

Good luck – just remember that a 12" line does not allow you to have a 12" gap between your tarp and the ground. You're always going to stake your lines at an angle and, if you have the micro-tensioners you'll further cut your length in half by the distance between the stake and your tensioner.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Ryan,

When using an A-frame configuration, 18" – 24" for sides & corners should be about right. Your ridge lines should probably be around 10' each. The trick with a tarp is to get a tight ridgeline.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

If I recall, I've seen it suggested that one cut their guylines into 2'-3' lengths, with a bowline at one end to facilitate easing linking of the lines should you need longer lines. Of course, your ridgelines will always need to be 7'-10' in length, but you could cut it to the shorter 7' length knowing you could extend it.

With BPL Nano or Aircore line weighing less than an ounce for 50', there's no real need to scrimp on line. Leaving 10' home probably enough of a weight savings to make it worth it.

Being a member, you can read this article about bad weather tarp pitching.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools