Topic

JRB Shenandoah what to you think?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) JRB Shenandoah what to you think?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

i've been looking at this quilt and wondering what you guys think. any thoughts would be appreciated
    ben-

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I just got one of these from a BPL member. I was car camping with my girlfriend at Lake Tahoe with predicted lows of 39* and broke out the Shenandoah at about 3am to give it a test run. I was in a 2 person Coleman tent sleeping on an air mattress. Clothing was a Smartwool microweight crew + adidas nylon pants + smartwool liner socks. With a fleece beanie on top, I was plenty comfortable, so I'd say it's accurate to its 40-45 degree rating. No problems with cold spots at the sewn-thru seams. Top-notch quality. Reguular (76") size is just right for me at 5'10" If I hadn't bought it used though, I'd probably go with an 86" b/c at home I like to pull the comforter up around my head in sort of an improvised hood. The 76" length is just a couple inches too short for that, but the 86" would likely be perfect.

I have wide-ish shoulders, so I was concerned about the 48" width of the quilt, concerned that as a restless side-sleeper I might be letting in drafts every time I moved. I didn't really find that to be a problem, but then this is a warmer weather quilt so 'cold' drafts aren't as big an issue.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

If you are considering this quilt don't miss the JRB Firecracker Sale…. 2-6 July…

Pan

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

i typically can go a good 10 degrees colder than a bag rating anyhow, so i'm not too worried about getting cold. i generally sleep in my REI subkilo unzipped like a quilt anyways, unless it gets below freezing. so i'm thinking i could save about a pound.

what will be the sale price?

Daniel Benthal

@dbthal

Locale: Mid-Coast Maine

I've had the JRB Shenandoah for two full seasons. This is one of my favorite items of gear.

I find it very light, compactable, and warm within it's intended range. It has kept me warm into the high 30's while wearing additional packed items.

If you are on the line between a regular & a long, go with the longer size.

Dan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools