Topic

Tortillas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    George Phoenix

@perrito

Locale: Joisey

I'm hiking the JMT this summer. Will tortillas keep long enough (3 weeks+) to ship with my MTR food drop?

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

I shipped some to MTR last year with my food drop. I think I shipped it out about two weeks prior to departure and picked them up about a week into my trip. So yes, they were fine after about three weeks. No funky growth.

I believe I read somewhere that whole wheat and flavored tortillas might not keep as long so I went with the plain white flour ones.

George Phoenix

@perrito

Locale: Joisey

My wife is Mexican and we do corn tortillas exclusively. I wonder how they'd do. If not, I'll try the wheat variety.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

I'm doing the JMT this summer also and have been experimenting with food. I have some corn tortillas I vacuum packed on Feb 28 this year. They still appear to be fresh as a daisy. Of course I haven't tried the control test to see how long they'll last without vacuum packing.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I'm a merchandiser for a local tortilla manufacturer. Those in the sealed bag will last usually a month past the expiration date if stored in not too hot of a location. 2 months in the cooler. The corn ones last a little less long, and get kinda stiff. The whole wheat ones should last as long as the flour.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools