Topic

Brothers mountain, WA July 23-25

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Brothers mountain, WA July 23-25

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Steingass
    BPL Member

@steingass

Locale: Washington

I got lucky and ended up with 3 days off during the middle of the week. I work nights but I tried to make the best of it and got to the trail head at 9 PM. This was my first hiking experience alone at night and I found I would much rather sleep at night than hike. That said I set up camp, after only 2 hours on the trail, just past Lena lake and soon after I got under my quilt it started to rain. I woke up early and started to make my way towards Brothers mountain in light intermittent rain.

The weather was poor on the mountain with high winds, rain, and dense clouds.

I lost the main route to the summit because I missed a blaze and the clouds blocked the view of the saddle and other landmarks completely but I still continued on. Finally, since I was alone, half lost and wet, I made the smart decision to turn around and head back. after only 30 min into my decent the weather started to open up and I saw my missed blaze.

Then it really opened up and I was finally able to look around and see just how close I came to the top before I turned around.

With the weather getting nicer by the minute the wildlife started to check things out.

On my second night I stayed at the brothers mountain base camp on lena creek fork.

Later that evening a familiar face visited my camp.

The next day, on my way out, I saw some packs that really made me appreciate my ultra light load.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Thanks for sharing your experience again. You are starting this reputation as the goat guy, great shot of your high altitude visitor. I really enjoyed the spy shot of the anonymous weight lifters and their caravan sized backpacks.

Matthew Steingass
    BPL Member

@steingass

I know, wheres all the mountain lions and bears and stuff. I swear I'm not bringing a salt lick up there.

Matthew Steingass
    BPL Member

@steingass

can I do it myself or does a moderator have to do this. It should say June instead of July. Thanks.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hey Matthew – nice report.

How tame are those goats? It seems fairly relaxed with you in those pics – can you pet it? Are you sure it isn't just your pet that you bring on trips? ;)

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

I agree it's suspicious. You have a pack-goat, don't you Matt. It's cool, I just think you should share your source so can all get them. :)

Matthew Steingass
    BPL Member

@steingass

LOL, nope I haven't pet one yet. This one was a male. He got very close many times but never made any signs he was going to charge which he later did.

I guess they love/need salt and will dig up and lick the spot where you urinate for a long time. I hung out in that area for an hour and a half and he stayed with me the whole time. Then I left him behind and walked the 2 miles back to camp. About an hour later he showed up again we were fine with each other until I went to hang my bear line. When I came back to camp it was dark and I kind of startled him.

I took another step to get a picture and he started to kind of snort. Then he reared up and charged me. He was about 10 feet away so I dove sideways and ran behind a tree. I was scared he was going to charge again so I took lots of flash photos, threw sticks and yelled to try to get him out of my camp. I had to do this many times because he just wasn't scared of me.

After he was gone I was shaking pretty good from the adrenaline rush and when I went to sleep that night I shut the door on my DuoMid.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Thanks for the clarification. I had visions of you sitting against a tree, eating a piece of beef jerky…goat lying beside you with your arm around him. :)

Looking at those horns, they can probably do some major damage…that's your pic up on the MLD website, isn't it?

Matthew Steingass
    BPL Member

@steingass

LOL, hopefully that will be my dog and I this weekend. We're going up to Talapus and Island lakes at Snoqualmie pass WA.

Yeah, Those are my pics on Both Gossamergear.com and Mountainlaureldesigns.com. I was pretty happy about that.

Speaking of MLD, my Exodos pack shipped on Wednesday. I can't wait to use it.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Mathew,
    Great photos and great story. Every time I see "traditional packs" I remember the old days, and am thankful that I have seen the light.
    Tom

Matthew Steingass
    BPL Member

@steingass

Thanks Thomas. Those packs were huge. Some of the largest I've seen. I don't think I could even make it a mile with a pack like that.

Joe O’Toole
    BPL Member

@joe_otoole01

Locale: PNW

those packs are hilarious.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools