Topic

Electrolyte Drink Suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Electrolyte Drink Suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

"(party in my mouth!!!)"

Sharon, reminds me of Pop Rocks when I was a kid…the urban myth was that you'ld blow up if you ate them!

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

Camelback elixor tablets. They are sugar free so you don't have to worry about the bacteria promotion quite as bad in you water bottles or water bladder. They aren't cheap, but they are cheaper per fluid oz than nuun drink tablets. One tablet supposedly does 24 oz, but to me they are too strong at that concentration and I usually use one tablet per liter or 2 liters. They come in lemon lime, some kind of orange with caffiene and a berry flavor of some sort. A few of these and my morning java juice is what I generally bring on everytrip.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I wonder how the Roman army managed to march for weeks of 20+ mile days in the past before supplements? :)

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

People used to do a lot of things that the marketing companies for gear manufacturers would now have you think is impossible. At least without their gear. I have found that, as I've gotten older, I seem to be more susecptible to cramps (leg cramps! Ruined a joke for someone). May have something to do with my blood pressure medicine. I do have some S!caps on order, so we'll see.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

high salt or surgar diets probably helped lower the need for electrolyte supplements back in the day. In the corp we made our nasty homemade electrolytes in bootcamp by mixing, sugar, salt and water. Electrolytes are just various salts(ionic compounds), which it just so happens you deplete as you sweat. I dehydrate easy and if I don't add them when I am on a lower salt diet I really get dehydrated. The bonus is they make my ClO2 water taste really good!

Dave T

@davet

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

>>I wonder how the Roman army managed to march for weeks of 20+ mile days in the past before supplements? :)

I'd like to point out that nobody is quite certain why the Roman Empire collapsed. However, I'm almost sure I remember reading something about the Visigoths drinking electrolyte enhanced potions before sacking Rome.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

"I'd like to point out that nobody is quite certain why the Roman Empire collapsed. However, I'm almost sure I remember reading something about the Visigoths drinking electrolyte enhanced potions before sacking Rome."

I think you're correct. I was taught at school that the Romans were marching under a banner saying 'wateronlyus', and as soon as the Visigoths raised their banner reading 'Gatoradius', the Romans panicked and ran.
    There was nuun survivors at that battle. :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

" wonder how the Roman army managed to march for weeks of 20+ mile days in the past before supplements? :)"

A centurion with a short sword picking off stragglers was a great motivator. ;}

Anonymous
    Inactive

"i want to remember hearing that sucrose (table sugar) and dextrose have to be converted to glucose before your cells can use them."

Dextrose is another word for glucose.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

this is what i found: Two stereoisomers of the aldohexose sugars are known as glucose, only one of which (D-glucose) is biologically active. This form (D-glucose) is often referred to as dextrose monohydrate, or, especially in the food industry, simply dextrose. [concerning] the D-form of glucose… The mirror-image of the molecule, L-glucose, cannot be metabolized by cells in the biochemical process known as glycolysis *wikipedia entry

its likely D version is used in gatorade – but all sugars are not created (processed) equally.

anyway, what gatorade claims (thirst quencher, electrolyte drink) is not really what you get. studies have shown it worthless until the user is active in exercise for at least 4 hours. (which is many of us, true)

but still, im not recommending it just as i would not recommend snickers bars as a dietary suppliment. (but they sure is tasty!)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I've read that the Romans were using "supplements"-
    an "energy" bar/chunk that consisted of grain, nuts, honey, and, most importantly, a small amount of opium to kill pain and hunger.

I have no experience with Nuuns but I do think Gatorade is totally bunk. Way too much sugar, dye, and other garbage in it.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Joe, some BP meds strip the body of potassium. Lower levels can lead to bad cramps (along with other "fun" things).
    One reason to read up the full details of every drug taken on the govt's website – it is scary what your doctor doesn't tell you!

I suffered the bad effects of one BP med that took my body so low I had to take prescribed potassium. Needless to say…it was not fun.

This is why I carry food rich in potassium along with a reasonable amount of sodium – a balanced diet does wonders when hiking.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

I've recently started competing in ultras. On a recent 30 mile training day I experienced severe dehydration and cramping. Poor electrolyte replacement was the likely culprit. Two weeks later during a 40 mile race I experienced severe leg cramps. I've never had serious leg cramp issues when walking under 25 miles/day. But when pushing my body over that distance in hot condition, despite good hydration I also need to replace electrolyte fully (not just sodium). YMMV. I'm now much more aware of how my body reacts to over and under hydration and of replacing key electrolyte throughout the day on top of food.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I'm now much more aware of how my body reacts to over and under hydration and of replacing key electrolyte throughout the day on top of food."

What do you use to replace them?

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Ultra Fuel is not an electrolyte drink. It is a carb drink.

"anyway, what gatorade claims (thirst quencher, electrolyte drink) is not really what you get. studies have shown it worthless until the user is active in exercise for at least 4 hours"

None (or is that Nuun) of the electrolyte replacement drinks are gonna help with short term exercise. It is only long term exercise that depletes electolytes (and glucose).

"its likely D version is used in gatorade – but all sugars are not created (processed) equally."

The terms glucose and dextrose, as used in common conversation, are referring to the D-isoform only. You would really have to go out of your way to find L-glucose in a sports drink.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

I'm a big fan of Hammer Nutrition products. I use them for hiking and running.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I found Cyto-Max at REI several years back and found it actually does what it advertizes – namely it reduces the buildup of lactic acid in your muscles.

Several backpacking friends tried it and found it worked that way for them as well.

Now "GookinAid" is another story. I just can't get used to the taste, good as it may be for electrolyte replacement.

Eric

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

I think we've got L-Glucose in the anticoagulant that we use in separating red cells, it also has citric acid, and sodium chloride, doesn't taste very good though.

NOTE: Upon further inspection it's dextrose, sorry… sorry…

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

"ultra fuel is not an electrolyte drink. it is a carb drink"

this list could contain some things that may qualify as electrolytes. you'll have to find sodium chloride elsewhere.

Beta-Carotene (pro-vitamin A) – 25,000iu – 500%, Vitamin D (from natural form vitamin D-3) – 400iu – 100%, Vitamin C – 1000mg – 1666%, Natural Vitamin E (succinate) – 800iu – 2666%, CoQ10(coenzyme Q10) – 30mg – *, L-Glutathione – 100mg – *, N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) – 200mg – *, Alpha Lipoic Acid – 100mcg – *, Vitamin B-1 (thiamine) – 50mg – 3333%, Vitamin B-2 (riboflavin) – 50mg – 2941%, Vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine) – 50mg – 2500%, Vitamin B-12 (cobalamin) – 100mcg – 1666%, Folic Acid – 400mcg – 100%, Niacinamide – 150mg – 750%, Pantothenic Acid – 250mg – 2500%, Biotin – 300mcg – 100%, PABA (para-aminobenzoic acid) – 25mg*, Choline Bitartrate – 100mg*, Inositol – 100mg*, L-Carnite (from carni Fuel l-carnitine magnesium citrate)..100mg*, Calcium (from calcium citrate, carbonate) – 25mg – 2%, Magnesium (from l-carnite magnesium citrate, aspartate, alpha-ketoglutarate – oxide) – 600mg – 150%, Potassium (from potassium asparate, alpha-ketoglutarate – citrate) – 100mg*, Zinc (from zinc picolinate) – 30mg – 200%, Manganese (from manganese gluconate) – 5mg*, Cooper (from copper gluconate) – 2mg – 100%**, Iodine (from potassium iodide) – 150mcg – 100%, Selenium (from selenomethionine – selenate 50/50 mixture) – 200mcg*,Chromium (from chromic fuel chromium picolinate) – 400mcg*, Molybdenum (from natural molybdic acid) – 150mcg* [%U.S.RDA], [* NoU.S.RDA has been established], [** Copper is specially coated to prevent interaction with incompatible nutrients]

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

No drink has been shown to be superior to water. So-called sports drinks contain electrolytes (sodium, potassium, and other minerals), which sweating depleats; however, the loss of electrolytes doesn't immediately affect the body, and you can compensate by eating bread, bananas, oranges,or potatoes (these contain NACL and K). My trail mix, which I nibble on all day, is salty and has lots of dried banana chips.

Many sports drinks also contain carbohydrate (sugar) which fuels working muscles. However, studies show it takes such drinks 90 minutes after ingestion to get into the bloodstream and to your muscles. For the person going to the gym for an hour, sports drinks won't help your performance; for the hiker who is pounding the trail all day, it will. But so will water. According to one study, the main advantage offered by sports drinks (containing sugar) is that they enhance the stomach's ability to absorb the water.

It is essential to replace fluids when you sweat, and water will most often do the trick, and remember to drink before you're thirsty. If it is extremely hot then you'll want to keep an eye out for sodium depletion, heat exaustion, sun stroke, etc.

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

I like the Powerbar Electrolytes drink mix. It comes individually packed and weighs practically nothing and tastes pretty good too.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

I know that for me in the Mid-atlantic humid summer heat just drinking water is a recipe for disaster. I need electrolytes to replace the salts I lose when I sweat, which is alot. I also don't feel like eating much in those conditions, so liquid sugar is great.

There are ways to measure your sweat rate and estimate the salt content. Your level of exertion, weather conditions and clothing choices will obviously make a difference.

Absorption of calories is much faster in liquid form than in solid form isn't it? This is probably more important for performance and competitive athletes during endurance events. So if I'm going for a short hike no problem, if I'm aiming for high mileage days then I try and mimic the approach used by ultra runners.

I'm not convinced there is a huge conspiracy against plain water. Sure there is alot of marketing and gimmicks passed off as performance enhancers. I just doubt that all the endurance athletes out there are just drinking plain water during long endurance events….if water is so great wouldn't they be doing so. The truth is there are risks involved in that…hyponatremia. People drop dead from it in marathons every year it seems. There are also real competitive advantages to taking in your calories and electrolytes orally in liquid form during competition, and starting to do so before you deplete them in the first place.

I'm no expert but I just completed my first ultramarathon two weeks ago and I'm hoping to complete the JMT in 11 days in September. Based on my training experience so far I plan on using both electrolye and calorie supplements with my water during the day and drinking plain water and water with a recovery drink at night. I've been able to push my body much longer and further than ever before by being very conscious of electrolyte depletion and fueling it properly. For me that requires more than plain water.

Thanks for whomever pointed out that Versalite is the new name of Gookinaid. I used that stuff alot 10 years ago when I was mountaineering alot. I stopped seeing the ugly white tubs ar REI several years ago and started using GU02 instead. Good to know that Versalite is the new name.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Excessive fluid intake during exercise (substantially greater than sweat losses) is the major cause of serious cases of hyponatremia in susceptible people. Sodium replacement during exercise does not address this problem. So just water is fine for most folks, but not TOO much water!

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Hyponatremia doesn't necessarily have to be associated with exercise. Last year a woman who was participating in a radio station sponsored water drinking contest to win a vacation died after swilling down a couple of gallons H2O. What happens is the K level becomes too diluted to regulate heart function, which goes into arrythmias and possible death. Too much water.

On the other hand, too high a level of electrolytes can result in hyprtension (from Na) and nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and ulcers (from K). Most people get far more Na than they need. Our bodies need only 500 mg/day; anything over 2500 mg/day is probably too much, causing hypertension in many people. In another post I related how I had consumed a Backpacker's Pantry freeze-dried meal and later discovered it contained 4000 mg NA. Yikes!

The estimated safe and adequate daily intake of K, as set by the Committee on Recommended Daily Allowances, is 1.9 to 5.6 g. If these requirements are not being met through diet, then it can be supplemented. The amount allowed in supplements is 99mg/tablet. I should point out that a banana typically provides 500mg K. There is such a thing as K toxicity, which usually affects people with kidney disease and manifests as heart disturbaces and/or convulsions.

In my first post at the beginning of this I listed several popular sport drinks and their respective amounts of Na, K, and the ones with Ca. Not all of them have any Ca, which is a surprise, because it is required for heart function and muscle contraction (Na and K also are important for the latter). However, the point I was trying to make there was that the amounts are all over the map. IMHO, if I were relying on sports drinks for fluid replacement, then I would choose the one with the lowest amounts of Na and K. Once you develop hypertension you have it for the rest of your life…no fun.

Over the long 4th weekend I escaped from the urban madness that accompanies this holiday to the deep snows of the Cascades. Along the way I picked up a tiny box of Crystal Light On The GO Hydration as suggested by another OP in this discussion. It had the best taste of all of them, just like real lemonade (75mg Na, 35mg K)! Still, I just limited myself to a 16 oz serving during the noon break and another at dinner. And the box said Electrolytes to Aid Hydration (not electrolytes to aid performance). Happy trails!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools