Topic

New Hydration Formula from NASA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition New Hydration Formula from NASA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    scott burgeson

@drdystopia

Locale: Upstate NY
    Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

I had never heard of it before seeing this post, but it seems pretty cool. I don't quite understand exactly what it is. It seems like it is just electrolytes without any sugar or cards or anything like that mixed in. I found this link which says they cost $2.70 each! That's a bit too expensive for me…

Edit: Here is the Homepage

George Phoenix

@perrito

Locale: Joisey
    Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hmmm, three bucks for one pint of drink. I get about the same deal at the local pub :-)

I guess it's some sort of public-private partnership thing, because if NASA actually developed this itself it would be public domain. They're good at telling you what's not in it, but I'm missing an actual listing of ingredients.

Well, cheers anyway,

Rick

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

No idea on the amounts, but it doesn't seem that different from NUUN, except it has a higher price tag, perhaps due to all the lawyers that patents require.

Q: What's in The Right Stuff?
    A:The Right Stuff ingredients include:
    Filtered Water to liquefy the solids
    Sea Salt – Electrolytes (Sodium & Chloride) – NASA patented blend
    Sodium Citrate – Electrolytes (Sodium & Citrate) – NASA patented blend
    Citric Acid – For flavor, to help offset saltiness and also natural preservative
    (used in soft drinks, beer and seltzer water)
    Sucralose – Zero carbohydrate sweetener derived from sugar
    Flavors – Natural varieties used for taste
    Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Citrate – Small quantities for preservatives
    NOTE: Future production runs will eliminate preservatives
    (manufacturing is done on aseptic packaging line)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"They're good at telling you what's not in it, but I'm missing an actual listing of ingredients."

In one of the links, can't remember which for all the hype, reference was made to an isotonic blend of sodium chloride and sodium citrate with Sucralose and natural flavors added for palatability. Pretty pricey for a few sodium ions, Id say. Not to mention a complete lack of any reference to potassium, calcium, and magnesium. Also, their examples of its use were 30 and 70 minute bouts of intense exercise. That would at least partially explain the absence of carbs in the product-and absence of relevance to endurance activities such as backpacking. I'll be taking a pass on this one, pending enlightenment by someone who can explain the physiological basis of the claims made for this product.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Come in sucker.

Cheers

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

I'll stick with Tang!

John Z
    BPL Member

@feather

To clarify a common misconception about Tang: "Tang, Teflon, and Velcro, are not spinoffs of the Space Program. General Foods developed Tang in 1957, and it has been on supermarket shelves since 1959." from: http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/spinfaq.htm

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tang_%28drink%29

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools