Topic

Best Trips?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

hey Guys,
    my wife and I are trying to figure out a trip idea for 2010. Here is our trip criteria/wants:

– 100 miles or one week in length
    – able to backcountry camp (not a big fan of huts)
    – prefer outside the US but not so completely remote that it require ridiculious travel arrangments

FYI we are doing the JMT this year so we can count that one out. Thanks guys…

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier. Obviously not outside US, but gorgeous. Pristine camps. Reservations begin in March, I think.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

You could try the Kungsleden in Sweden. The southern portion is supposed to be quite easy to get to.

Or you could walk across Scotland. Sublime!

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

great idea's guys, thanks

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

Fly into Jackson hole.
    Take a cab to the northern entrance of yellowstone.
    Hike back to the airport. Through the west side of yellowstone and the Tetons.

edit; Didn't see the outside the US thing. Only a week out of the country? how many travel days will you have?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

There are some good trails in Ontario, Canada. You could do a 100 mile loop on the Western Highlands trail in Algonquin Provincial Park. I think there are some other trails further north in Ontario that are even more remote and IMO even better (although I do love algonquin). The Le Cloche Silhouette trail in Killarney is awesome but only 50-60 miles. I forget the name of the park, but another park further north has a longer loop.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Dan – there are two trails in Algonquin from Hwy 60. One is the Highlands trail but I think the one you are referring to is the Western Uplands on the north side of Hwy 60. It's a great trail with multiple loop options but as Dan says not so remote. Being about a 3 hour drive from Toronto means that it can get busy at times.

There is a trail in Lake Superior Provincial Park but I am not sure if it is still in use. There is a trail at Pukaskwa National Park but it is a short one in comparison at 60 km.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools