Topic

easily PRINTABLE 2-page gear CHECK-LIST

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists easily PRINTABLE 2-page gear CHECK-LIST

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

LINK:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/images/wts_gearlist.pdf

If a piece of paper in your hand helps you systematize your methodology (like me, Mike C!) this simple check list is a tidy way to help organize your gear.

This will download as a two-page print out, and all you need to do is print it and start deciding what to leave behind, and the items are listed in the exact order as the on-line GEAR-LIST article.

All weights are in ounces.

– – – and – – –

The on-line article has a way to Download an excell sheet too. All set up and ready to go.

LINK:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/wilderness_trekking_school_gear_list.html

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Mike, Keep it coming…this is great stuff. I really like the term "suggested weight" over the term max weight. Makes me much more comfortable with items an once or two over. I dont see anything missing.

I would like to know if anyone has done a trip prep check list. I've found I'm good with gear, but sometimes I am still up late at night before a trip doing all the things I forgot. Here are some examples.

* Plan route (identify distance, likely camp locations, and water strategy)
    * Determine trail logistics (map drive to trail head, where can I park, what permits do I need)
    * Review wilderness regulations (where can I camp, can I build a fire, etc)
    * Purchase food
    * Prepare daily food bags (weighs out daily snacks, repackage breakfast & snacks, prepare freezer bag dinners)
    * Get hiking poles
    * Charge cell phone
    * Recharge camera battery
    * Change batteries in GPS
    * Load topo maps onto GPS
    * Fill up car
    * Photo copy trail map (2 copies) – leave one map copy with wife, itinerary marked. Put 2nd copy in ziplock and put in hiking pants pocket.
    * Determine fuel needs and refill bottle
    * Fill up 1 liter of water
    * Checks meds and refill (usually just add used iboprofin)
    * Check personal items and replenish (toothpaste dots & floss)
    * Check liquids and replenish (deet, dr bonners)
    * Set out trail clothes
    * Pack backpack, except quilt (leave unpacked till trail head)

When you solo hike you have less opportunity for a missed item so I'm pretty complete. I rarely miss a thing, but often up late make sure.

Anyone else?

Jamie

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I usually use my previous gear list as a guide but that's bitten me the last two trips because I forgot to pack something that wasn't on the previous trip. Oops.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Great followup list, Jamie. One addition (revitalize/wash your down sleeping bag).

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Jamie offered a great trip prep checklist, and asked if folks see any other things to consider adding to it.

I would add:

* trim toenails
    * check weather forecast for area of travel
    * Determine Phase of moon and moonrise/set times, ditto sunrise/set times
    * parking permit/pass required? (often is where I hike)
    * determine possible bail-out options, i.e., places I can leave the trail mid-trip and hitchhike out if in trouble
    * might check to see that memory card(s) for camera have been cleared (space is available), and heck, that date/time is properly set on camera

Few of these are "must do" items, but worth at least considering during trip prep.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

At present, the printable check-list has a flow.

THe RAIN JACKET is listed as MAX WEIGHT: 5 oz

It should read 14 oz.

The easies t solution would just to take a pen, and add a "1" in front of the 5 for 15 oz.

Sorry, our hard woking staff let this get past 'em…

Taylor Ginther

@tippet

Locale: San Diego

about trimming the nails before the trip, very good idea and most people don't think of it.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I discovered last summer that it's a good idea to have a "Plan B" itinerary in case of forest fire or similar calamity. I had to change my Wind Rivers trip suddenly last year when a forest fire broke out the day before I left home. By the time I got there (I spent a week in Colorado first), the fire was under control, but I was so psyched up for the alternate plan that I did it anyway.

Another thing I found out (through experience, of course) is that if you're not driving directly to the trailhead (overnighting on the way, or staying with friends/family before starting), make sure you pack your trail clothes and footwear!

As Chris reminds us, it's really important to do a followup on the list immediately post-trip. Add what you've forgotten and make a note of what you didn't use to see if you can safely eliminate it next time. I make notes during the trip and transfer them to my list during the post-trip cleanup. Well, I try to, anyway. :-)

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

thanks mike!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools