Topic

Dehydrating Stews

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Dehydrating Stews

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Marilyn Pitts
    BPL Member

@maire

Locale: Southern California

I'm cranking up the dehydrator for an upcoming trip and am looking at adding some more homemade dinners to my repertoire. I want to dehydrate a couple of my favorites–a beef stew and a garbanzo/chicken sausage soup/stew. Any advice on dehydrating these types? I have dehydrated meals and soups in the past, but not with meat. The only meat item I have dehydrated is stroganoff–and the ground beef was very chewy. I'm wondering if the meat in these two dishes will be the same–hard and/or chewy? Anyone out there had experience with this?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Keep everything about the same size – you can always grab the veggies/meat right before drying and dice them up. That helps in fast drying and faster rehydration.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I dry the meat and veggies seperately… for two reasons…

1. they really should be dried at different temps (the meat at 155°F or above and the veg at 135°F)

2. the meat and veggies will dry at different rates

I usually plan to dehydrate other things at the same time so I don't have empty trays for the two separate runs.

Also, when rehydrating use boiling water and a cozy and allow for 30 minutes or more rehydration time and you won't have the chewy texture.

Marilyn Pitts
    BPL Member

@maire

Locale: Southern California

Thanks Sarah and Laurie for your help. By the way, I have both of your books. I find them highly useful and inspirational!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

You're welcome… I'm here to help (well not for the next week or so as I am in the wilderness – but when I return)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools