Topic

Hiking in Finland

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Hiking in Finland

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

Some shameless self advertising here =)

Hiking in Finland is my blog which showcases my trips in the Finnish forests during all seasons. It also describes my journey from being a "normal" backpacker towards going UL. Have a look and let me know what you think!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Cool stuff–I like the Hut-shelter system on the trails. How is the bug situation in Finland in the summer?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Nice blog Hendrik.Kath and I met a couple of Finnish guys climbing down in el Chorro last year. We enjoyed their tales and they ours. They are hoping to come over to the UK too for a backpacking trip. The more the merrier.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Jay, mosquitos can be a problem, though it depends usually on how harsh the winter was. The further up north, direction Lapland, you go, the more problematic they can get. Ticks, midges and the like are no problem.

Rog, I too am planning to come over to the UK, Scotland to be specific, at some time to enjoy your mountains and views. Surely a great area to go walking! And also a stop at a whiskey distillery is planned =)

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Hendrik, Scotland is fantastic, especially the west coast highlands. My advice is go in early May for good weather and to avoid the bugs. The scottish midge is a lot smaller than a mosquito, but is a sociable creature who likes to dine with 10,000 friends.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I'm enjoying your blog. We were able to visit your country (Helsinki and Savonlinna) for a few days in 2005. No camping on that trip, looks like there should have been.

Most of your photos remind me of places I've been over here … confirming our impression that Finland is just like northeastern Minnesota (including the mosquitoes). It's no wonder why so many people here are of Finnish ancestry.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Rog, I was planning to come over to Scotland this autumn though I think I will postpone it to next year, there's just too much to do this year. Avoiding the insects is a good side effect, as well.

Jim, thank you for the kind words. Savonlinna is a beautiful city, especially in the summer. Great hiking around that city as well, maybe you need to come back sometime.

I also met a lot of US Americans from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan who have Finnish ancestors, great people. I also need to get over to the USA some day, to see that great country, hike and get a trailname!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools