Topic

Sleeping Linears…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Tim Testa

@michaelredbeard

Can anyone recommend some good ones that they think are light and handy so you dont have to wash your sleeping bag as much while hiking the appalachian trail? Also I don't want one that is going to increase the heat of the backpack too much. Something that is light and thin would do me well.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Rather than a bag liner, I wear silk baselayers. I was considering a silk liner, but for one thing, it's a single use item. If that single use it important, and nothing can be substituted, then I can live with it. Another concern was that I read comments from restless sleepers (I am one myself) that they'd get kind of tangled in the liner.

My silk base layers are made by Terramar. They're usually available on Sierra Trading Post, and if you buy them during one of the gazillion sales they're always having, you could probably get a pair for around $35-40 shipped. My mediums weigh 6.5 oz total, vs probably 4-5oz for a liner. They also have the benefit of being dual use. Since they aren't worn on the outside of my clothes, I don't have to worry about them bringing dirt into the bag. And your main concern isn't dirt so much as body oils migrating to the down and reducing its effectiveness. I'm pretty sureI read that even if you wear the the silk baselayers around camp and sweat in them they still prevent this.

Dave Weston

@wsuweston

Locale: NW

I also wear silk base layers to bed. I just could not get my liner to stay where I wanted it throughout the night.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Add another vote for the silk baselayers. I don't wear mine during the day as I'm hiking, only at night and for the express purpose of keeping the sleeping bag clean. Easier to wash them than the bag!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Another vote for silk pyjamas.
    MYOG of course!

Cheers

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Add another vote for the silk baselayers. I don't wear mine during the day as I'm hiking, only at night and for the express purpose of keeping the sleeping bag clean."
    And me a little warmer.

Plus 1 for silk at night.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Roger- you have mentioned Silk MYOG PJ's a number of times how about an article on how to make them- my biggest obstacle is where to find UL quality silk in the states.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Julian Watson

@juleswatson

yes Roger c'mon, spill the beans. It might be enough to trip me over the precipice to join !

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Score 1 for Ashley. Thaisilks have some nice coloured 8 momme Habotai silk at a very reasonable price. It is very similar to the silk used in many 'silk liners' sold commercially – maybe just slightly better quality.

Pattern? I hacked something up from existing patterns, but trundle down to your nearest sewing shop and ask the lady there to help you find a pattern for either loose pyjamas or a light loose track suit (top and bottom) with hood. The hood is a very good idea for keeping your bag clean. I add socks.

One word of advice: Habotai silk is not super slippery like many synthetics, so don't try to make the pyjamas tight! I made my first pair too tight, using a lycra pattern, and they … split asunder. :-)

I'll put it on 'the list'.

Cheers

Brett Rasmussen
    BPL Member

@ascientist

Locale: Grants Pass, Oregon

Bought the Terramar pajamas, but have been disappointed with the durability (they are prone to forming runs in the fabric). I made a some from the 5mm silk which have been great. The weight of the top and bottom that I made is less than 2 ounces. Although I should mention that it can be difficult working with such thin fabric.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ashley, thanks for the link. But I need a little help-
    under the Habotai tab what does the 4mm, 8mm (Roger suggested) 15.5 mm mean? I know what the fabric widths are and under stand that- is that a specific weave pattern? if so which is better?

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

The unit of measurement for silk weight is momme, mm, not millimeters. 5 mm is about 0.5 oz/square yard.
    http://www.silkduvetguide.com/silk-momme.htm

How transparent are some of the lower weight Habotai silks? Could I make a set of light clothes to wear into trail towns without causing scandal?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Walter

> How transparent are some of the lower weight Habotai silks?
    Well, a wet white 8 mm Habotai shirt might go really great in a wet T-shirt contest … :-)

But a loose shirt of dark colour should be OK. Loose trousers of a dark colour should also be OK. When dry.

Cheers

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools