Topic

Seam Sealing a bivy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Seam Sealing a bivy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

just curious how you guys are sealing them. the directions that i'm sort of using as guidelines has the top and bottom just double stitched… just shove some diluted silnet in the seams? Coat the stitching on the inside??? thanks

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Jared,

Here's a great article from Jay Ham on sealing silnylon.

I used 2-1 mineral spirits – silicone caulk (from Lowe's) on my bivy and tarp. Works PERFECTLY!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Load your mix of choice into a 10cc syringe body. I like 3:1 mineral spirits to silicone, by weight. It flows easily into thread and needle holes.

A syringe gives a very controllable flow and you can work the silicone into threads and seams easily with the small diameter needle stub.

You will end up with silicone exactly where you want it.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

yes, i've read jay ham's article several times and have sealed several tarps and tarptents with it over the last several years. The bivy has a different type of seam, I was just wondering whether people were shoving the stuff in, separating the layers and essentially gluing them shut or a combo gluing shut and coating the seams… but thanks.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

i don't understand the need to seam seal a bivy. the entire top half is breathable right? so not water proof? so why worry about making the seam right bellow the not waterproof part waterproof. I never got it.

-Tim

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I'm assuming it's the seams on a 'bath-tub' floor bivvy. A bivvy without a totally waterproof high bath-tub floor is as good as useless on wet ground. If non-waterproof fabric touches the ground, it will simply wick water into your sleeping system.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

yes, it's a fully bathtubbed bivy with all the features. I'll post a thread on the pictures. I wound up just cating the threads and stuffing it in the vertical seams as much as possible.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools