Topic

new garmins foretrex 301 and 401

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) new garmins foretrex 301 and 401

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I agree w/ Tim's assessment of the 401- the battery life is very good (using lithium as well), the receiver is very sensitive- I was getting signals in some pretty tight confines in a recent trip in NM

the strap is a little hooky- I like Mike's idea of replacing it w/ something simpler (and lighter :) )

the altimeter seems to work pretty well (would get the elevation before the UTM's would come up, once the UTM's came up I'd compare notes between the two)

I'm going to have to a little homework though on uploading/downloading data w/ it

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Cesar Garcia
    BPL Member

@crgowo

Locale: Desert SW

I read that the older models do but does the new 301 display UTM coordinates?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I'd think both 301 and 401 have UTM. That is a basic coordinate setting.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

both display utm's

R Y
    BPL Member

@rhyang

Just noticed that the version 2.40 firmware update fixes the waypoint date bug –

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4759

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

carlos fernandez rivas
    BPL Member

@pitagorin

Locale: Galicia -Spain

Im really disapointed,

Checking this old post that I started in 2009 three years later seems that nothing changed…. really small and light gps units seems to be the same that three years ago… :(

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

Yes i ended on this page not long ago.
    Didnt find any new alternative to the foretrex 301.

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

This unit seems to be able to do the same usage as a foretrex 301/401 while being lighter

battery seems to have better autonomy, but its only an impression from some reports

foretrex 301 AAA are buyable everywhere but it isnt that bad as i got u 800 uses Li-ion 700mAh EN-EL10 equivalent

am i missing something ?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Fred,
    Sounds very interesting, but with a Google search, i got very little info.
    There was a Canadian vendor that did show degree coordinates on the display screen, and gave a weight of 51 grams.

I'm a trekker, not a racer, and most of the features are of no use to me hiking. I already know roughly where I am and where I've been, how long it took, etc. All I need is the ability to enter UTM coordinates into it, preferably without access to a computer, and some kind of pointer that will direct me every few hundred yards or so toward the coordinate or coordinates I entered.

Could you advise if it can do that, and how much it actually weighs?
    That would be really helpful if you could.

Thanks.

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

I dont own one, i was searching for a gps logger, to geo tag photos ( i was uploading some on microstock and i realized it was a pain to click them one by one on a map.

From what i have read on photography forums, the latest i gotu activates and deactivates with movement, thats how they save battery.
    But i didnt find a review from any hiker about this unit.

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

I just got a 301 which is sweet!! By removing the strap and using li batteries I got it to about 67g. Quick simple and easy to use and locates fairly quickly.

I am planning to use it as a back up to map reading and so far it seems to fit the bill perfectly!

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I have a 301 as well based on a solicited suggestion from Mike Martin. I got it pretty much for the same reasons as Jeremy. In addition I use it for tracing off-trail routes and thus far have found it to be excellent.

Ben Whitsett

@benwhitsett

Does it hold the memory while changing batteries? Do you have to reset anything or calibrate after changing batteries?

Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools