Topic

Ultralight Backpacking in Peru’s Cordillera Blanca

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Ultralight Backpacking in Peru’s Cordillera Blanca

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Oh man, another hike added to the list! Thanks :)

Patrick Miron

@pmiron

wow thank to sharing with the community. I like all the detail of your text. Very appreciated. My next big trip…

Pat

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

great article, thanks for sharing Rick!!!

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Very nice trip report and how-to tutorial!

Being a suspension free pack fan I gotta ask:
    1) How'd you like the ZPacks Blast packs?
    2) 31.6lbs starting weight might be pushing the limits there? Did you perceive a tipping point as you ate your way to a lighter load?
    3) The photos seem to show hip belts, did you find them useful with this pack?
    4) How'd the 1.5oz Cuben stand up to the load?
    5) How about the stitching?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

AWESOME and very informative trip report Rick!!! My mind was planning a trek the entire time I was reading your UL backpacking report…Such a exotic place to travel too…What type of wildlife do you see?

-Jay

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Thanks for the great trip report Rick! I'm hoping to get to Chile and Peru in the next couple of years. I doubt I'd be brave enough to do it with just a tarp, so kudos for that!

GearList:
    Underwear… Victoria's Secret… Micromesh Panty

Interesting choice. And what was your partner wearing? ;-)

Generally, it is wise to carry along a bag of lemon candy or similar treats to give to locals whom you feel inclined to treat.

I'd *strongly* discourage this. In theory it's a nice thing to do, but in practice it just fosters an unhealthy relationship between foreign trekkers and the local population. As you noticed yourself, it encourages people to approach you simply for the purpose of asking for candy (or whatever). In many cases this makes it impossible to have any sort of normal interaction with them. As you noted, it's often the case that people keep asking for a sweet even after you've said no.

I find it really sad when I go trekking in places like Nepal and I meet children on the trail. Instead of saying "hello" they say "hello pen?" or "hello bonbon?". I don't think this is a good way for children to learn to interact with foreigners. Generally these children are not so poor they need to beg for food, but by handing out stuff on the trail I feel we are undermining their independence and self-respect. In other countries, such as Vietnam, it is wonderful to meet children who do not view foreigners as walking vending machines. They play and interact naturally, and are delighted to meet you and say hello or play a game. I had about 5 kids hanging off my legs in Vietnam once and it was lots of fun!

A much better alternative to giving away candy/sweets is to find a local school in the mountains and give some school supplies (books, pencils etc etc) to the school teacher. This has a much more positive and lasting impact and promotes a great relationship between visitors and the local community.

ps. Sorry if I sound like I'm preaching, but foreigners handing out candy on the trail is one of my pet hates!

Dave T

@davet

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Excellent article – like a Lonely Planet guide for backpackers.
    :)

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I'm writing from the PCT and so rarely have Internet access.

About the Zpacks Blasts:

We like these packs a lot. 30+ lbs in the larger one is certainly not very comfortable, but within 3 days it's down to a comfortable weight. 25 lbs seems to be the comfort limit for any frameless pack I've tried (MLD Zip, Blast, Golite Pinnacle). The hip belts are necessary, but get the hip pockets too, which have the actual padding for the belt. 1.5 oz cuben seems like a 2 -2.5 oz silnylon in terms of strength. The stitching is good and should last about 100-150 days of backpacking.

About the candies:

That's a good point. It's a hard call. It's hard to have to disappoint the locals, but some "tough love" from foreigners would probably be a good thing.

Wildlife:

Surprisingly little. Just birds (condors, etc.) and a relative of the pica. And cattle…

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Was that some version of a rain-kilt in the photo labelled "Negotiating a water-covered trail" ?

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

Yes, it was simply a piece of silnylon cut out to form an open-topped cone, with a few pieces of velcro sewn on to form the cone shape.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools