Topic

SUL Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists SUL Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Ben Colbert

@rvamutt

Hey guys, I'm looking for some help on my attempt at a SUL gear list. This is what I have so far:

Golite Ion
    TiGoat Bivy
    Fleece Bag
    E-light
    Platypus 1L
    Mini Bic
    Prolite Thermarest
    Bandana
    Spork
    Book

What else do I need? This is a two night, two day trip. The area I will be camping is well blazed and relitivly popular so I don't think a map and compass is neccesary. For first aid I have duct tape on my pole (blisters and small/med cuts) and a bandana. It will be no cook (obviously) and fair weather (no colder than 60 and no rain). Thanks!

P.s. I'm not including clothes I'm wearing for this list.

Ben Colbert

@rvamutt

Add small bug spray and aqua mira.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

>What else do I need?
    ALL THE HIKING ESSENTIALS (always)- Hiking essentials
    This can be UL, but you should aways have it with you!
    You have most of the list, but you need to complete it.

hunter nelson

@hunt4car

bring a light its ul and useful
    also its soooooo useful to bring those little swiss army knives, the small ones with very little stuff but its all useful.
    i dont know if you are bringing a hat but if you arnt do.
    bring a trash bag they have millions of uses and weigh nothing… just bring it.
    pack all of your stuff and go in to your back yard and go thru everything pretend to hike and get ready for sleep ect. see what you need and dont need, also while you do this go over what you will do if it rains or you get hurt ect.
    good luck!

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

for an overnight with 60 degree lows and no rain in a well-used area, you just need a bag, bivy, pack and food. The rest is just comfort/fun stuff.

Ben Colbert

@rvamutt

I thought I was on the wrong forum for a minute. The ten essentials? Seriously?

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Aren't as essential when bailing is easy and am emergency is unlikely.

Are you taking a baselayer though? Even just a lightweight silk baselayer can add warmth and feel good in camp, but again, not necessary for such a short trip, and if you want to be as light as possible, leave at home.

Also, you *could* trade out the Prolite for NeoAir or a Nightlight from gossamergear.com, but I'm sure you know that already.

In my experience, things you will definitely want: some form of light, a beanie hat, a change of socks, sunscreen, and a minimalist med kit (hydrocortisone cream and advil being the most used items from this, for me).

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

You might want to look through my list.

I used to think I was doing good if my pack weighed less than 40#. Funny now I actually think I am carrying more individual items. One thing I do miss is my old folding candle lantern with mica lenses. Still got it, its just not on the SUL list like everything else I have from years ago.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/process#forumtop

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I must be crazy but I hardly ever use a light. I bring it, but I tend to just do whatever has to be done in the dark.

I used to have one of those folding mica-windowed lanterns. That thing was really cool. I wonder what happened to it.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

SUL means different things to different people of course. How can you guarantee the weather will be clear and 60? And that you will not get lost (no compass), and you will not be injured (no 1st aid kit), etc..

My packing lists include categories for the 10 essentials, but the item I choose for each category varies between heavy, and UL. I literally have a bin for each category, and choose 'one item from each' when packing.

So, to answer your question, I suggest a navigation kit of compass map and maybe gps, sun protection/first aid kit, and commo (cellphone).

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I used to have one of those folding mica-windowed lanterns. That thing was really cool. I wonder what happened to it.

Funny how those thing disappear.

Last time I used mine was during a hurricane with lights out. Seems like somebody should have amde a 1oz LED lantern by now.

Peter McDonough
    Spectator

@crazypete

Locale: Above the Divided Line

Replace the fleece with a real sleeping bag/quilt. You can make a summer quilt that will be half as heavy as the fleece.

Duct tape does not cut it as first aid.

Water purification?

If the lighter is meant to be your emergency fire starting kit, you better be pretty durned confident in yourself.

The last 3 times I've gone out without rain gear and tarp because the weatherman said clear skies, it has rained on me and my parade. I suggest a poncho tarp and 5-6 stakes. Weights about 5-6 oz, and you've taken care of the rain situation.

Drop the book and bring a star chart. It's just as enlightening, and it weights a fraction of the book's weight.

Prolite 3? Prolite4? Short? Regular?

Toothbruth and toothpaste?

Some to clean your hands before eating and after defecating? Hand sanitizer?

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

1 L of water? That's it? Unless you are going to be on a stream or river the whole time and aren't purifying your water this seems like it would be too little. I typically drink 4 a day on a long hike and then use another two or so that night and in the morning while in camp (includes cooking which you arent doing though). An extra water bladder would only put you back a little over an ounce.

What foods do you eat with a spork but don't cook? I just couldnt think of any right away… Im sure there are some though.

TP? Some people dont use it I guess but you can bet it's included in my pack weight

+1 to all of the following previous comments:

the Poncho tarp or at least some sort of emergency protection if it rains

Lightweight quilt instead of fleece

better first aid (only has to be around two ounces)

some form of additional fire starter…

knife?

You can definitely make it on your trip with your list…as long as absolutely nothing unanticipated happens… with a few more ounces though you will be much more prepared for any surprises

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Ben,

You are asking for help on a SUL list, but you aren't listing any weights.

I'm not sure how I can help. You should create a TRUE list of the items you have, with their weights before posting.

I think the list you've shown won't truly represent what you have in your pack. You'll have more.

– how do you keep your gear dry in a rain storm?

– What are your clothes? THere is no way you are going hike wearing all the clothes you sleep in.

– a spoon but no mug or bowl? What is your food?

– how do you keep your mini-bic dry?

– what's your rain gear?

Please, give us more information before you ask for help.

Mike C!

Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

Also, maybe tell us how many miles you are planning on traveling. 1L is not enough unless you have a stream nearby, in this case you need some purifying tablets of some sort.

John Fry

@m6amba

dont forget guys….the E-Lite, IS a light…..lol
    he just spelled it wrong
    its all i carry on my trips……

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools