Topic

who was asking about Desolation snow levels?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports who was asking about Desolation snow levels?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

Just did a quick hike up to Grouse Lake (~8400 ft elevation in a North by Northwest facing bowl on the West slope)

Looks like iced out a couple weeks ago – fish a little sluggish, but some feeding actively (on emergers i think)GrouseLake

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Cary,

I was part of the thread that was asking.

Jay, Cameron, Jeremy, and I are planning on doing the Tahoe Rim Trail starting on July 2nd.

Aaron is running the TRT just a week before us.

What were the night time temperatures like?

Trying to figure out my sleeping system with all this crazy weather.

Debating my 40F Marmot Atom and laying up with Thermawrap Pants and Jacket or my 15 F Marmot Helium bag.

I am a cold sleeper and plan on using my MLD Bivy and Poncho Tarp for shelter.

-Tony

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Tony,

If it helps any it's going to heat up by this Thursday, and the storms which have been hanging around in the mountains should dissipate along with the change. This weather pattern has been great from a water storage and delivery perspective, but is definitely pushing back meltoff in the high country.

I hope your friend Aaron likes running on snow!

Cheers,

Rick

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

when the clouds & wind were out, seemed like it was in the low to mid 40s (had l/s shirt on with wp/b jacket mostly unzipped while hiking – standing/fishing this was a little on the cool side)

didn't spend the night, but I think Rick is right – supposed to start heating up now

my guess, from the little bit of ice floating in the lake, is that it had been getting to around freezing or just below last several nights at the lake's altitude

i'm guessing night-time lows will be upper 30s to lower or even mid 40s for this coming weekend

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Rick & Cary,

Thanks for the feedback on what is going on up there.

Skinny dude that I am, I want to make sure that I don't become a human popcicle laying on the side of the trail, curled up in a ball while sucking my thumb and crying out for mommy. :)

Think that my thermawrap pants and jacket will take my sleeping system down to the mid 30's.

As we are getting resupplied by Jeremy's dad after 4 days, if it is warm, I can always hand off my thermawrap pants to cut weight.

Fine line between going light and becoming a recipient of the Dwarwin Award. :)

Once Aaron finishes his 2.5 day run on the TRT, I want to hit him up for what the conditions were like, as he is going 1 week before we do.

Do I sound paranoid?
    :)
    -Tony

-Tony

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

You guys are killing me.

According to all of the snow reports, the snow has been melting at 5" per week over the past 3 weeks.

However, none of them talk about northern facing slopes.

I went up to run from Mt Rose to Broakaway on 30 May.

It was supposed to be a hike to Tahoe City 12-14 hours, 39 mile trip. Ha, ha…

The North sides of the mountains still have 2+ feet of solid snow. Made it through the first 10.5 miles in a blazing 6.5 hours. I also went the way the signs go on the TRT, not the way the maps go or the way I'll be going.

Staying off that area on the northern side of the slope will help a lot.

The weather was also warm enough that you could hear the trickling of the snow melting throughout the day.

I think I may be going through a few, (1 or 2) miles of snow, but that's about it.

I'll definitely give a report of the conditions as soon as I finish.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

So has any one been up in the higher elevations lately?

I am trying to decide if bring a pair of micro-spikes would be worth it?

jonathan lorenz

@punkture

Locale: Northern California

anyone know about snow levels?

david marks

@dmx007

I just hiked a loop from bayview, down through the velma lakes area and around to clyde lack and finally over Dicks pass and back to bayview.

North slopes had snow, and areas around 9K feet were also pretty well covered. The north side of Dicks pass had really no sign of the trail and a few feet of snow, but it was possible to follow footsteps to find the approximate way.

But lower elevations had no snow — in fact around Aloha there was very little and you don't need any special equipment. But bringing a hiking pole wouldn't hurt, and prepare for below-freezing temps at night (we had 25-30 at night near clyde lake which still had lots of ice).

It's been a warm week though, so it could be different already. Two advantages: few people, and few mozzies.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

David,

Thanks for posting up the trail conditions.

I am heading up to do the TRT with friends on July 2nd and I have been wondering about the night time conditions so I can figure out my sleeping system.

How were the bugs?

Also, were the snow levels enough that you would recommend taking snow baskets for my hiking poles?

Appreciate the feedback.

-Tony

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools