Topic

Bivy Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bivy Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ben Colbert

@rvamutt

I am looking for the lightest, cheapest (aren't we all) bivy that would be used in only clear weather. I basically want something to keep the bugs off me and I'm not worried about weather.

Any ideas for somethin less than 10oz and $100?

p.s. I can't sew worth a darn.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

What about the SMD Net Tent for sale on Gear swap? If you're only using it in clear weather, you just need bug netting, correct? I've been looking at it pretty hard but I don't think a side entry would work with a tarp set-up.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Also I wonder if you dropped the poles from an REI Bug hut and just tied-it off at the top with some guyline, it would probably be under 10oz for pretty cheap. If you don't need a sewn in floor, there are plenty of bug nets for really cheap.

Aaron Zuniga

@gliden2

Locale: Northwest

What about the Oware Drawcord bivy? It's 5.75 oz and will cost ya $99 for the regular. This would do fine at keeping any pesky bugs bugs from sucking your blood=)

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

if bugs are all that you are concerned about, have you thought about the gossamer gear bug canopy? i doesn't offer the full coverage of a bivy, but its only $30 and weighs 3 oz.

Jay Well
    Spectator

@jwell

Locale: Willamette Valley

Just get a piece of noseeum sized to fit your purpose. Attach some grosgrain loops at strategic points for keeping it off your face during the night, staking down etc. Viola a easy, cheap, light, bug net.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Simblissity:

http://www.simblissity.net/

Hey I just noticed a link at simblisity.net takes you right to a review here at BPL!

Mountain Laurel Designs makes a bug net and a "Super Mid Inner Net" that is basically a bug net tent (both are over $100)

Here are options:
    http://www.basegear.com/insectrelief.html

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Ben,

The Equinox bivy works great and meets your needs. Google it. Available at quite a few places.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Ti Goat?

David Ure

@familyguy

The Equinox bivy has big netting?

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

A second for the Oware Drawcord Bivy. Both my wife and I have been using them for two years and they have held up exceptionally well — we just got off an 8 day surf and turf trip along Lynn Canal here in Southeast Alaska. We both bought "longs" for some extra space for our clothes at night, but I would recommend the regular in hindsight. This photograph shows both bivies.
    Tarp Camp at Bare Loon Lake, Chilkoot Trail

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Sorry! Wasn't paying attention in my prior post – No, the Equinox doesn't have bug netting.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools