Topic

SHT – Summer 3-day Trip Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists SHT – Summer 3-day Trip Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Locale: Minnesota

Would like some feedback for a 3-day trip this summer. Will be going in a group but wanted to start by skimming my list down first… Looking for some economical ways to lighten up.

Easy to read click gear list

Or

Item Weight (oz) Weight (g)
    Clothing Worn
    North Face Hat 2.35 oz 66.62 g
    Gramicci Kinetic T-Shirt – Lightweight Merino Wool 4.88 oz 138.20 g
    Icebreaker Bodyfit 200 – Lightweight Merino Wool 7.63 oz 216.17 g
    Polypro Briefs (Black) 1.50 oz 42.52 g
    REI Adventure Pants 12.38 oz 350.83 g
    REI Lightweight Merino Wool Liner Socks 1.55 oz 43.94 g
    Inov-8 Roclite 295 25.54 oz 724.05 g
    Subtotal 55.82 oz 1582.33 g

Other Items Worn / Carried
    BPL Stix 4.90 oz 138.91 g
    Sunglasses 1.00 oz 28.35 g
    S-biner/Watch/LED on Lanyard 0.70 oz 19.84 g
    Bandana 0.81 oz 22.96 g
    Subtotal 7.41 oz 210.07 g

Other Clothing
    Montane Featherlite Velo 5.25 oz 148.83 g
    REI Lightweight Merino Wool Liner Socks 1.55 oz 43.94 g
    Subtotal 6.80 oz 192.78 g

Shelter
    GoLite Ultra-Lite Poncho/Tarp 10.75 oz 304.76 g
    Tyvek Bivy 10.00 oz 283.50 g
    Vargo Titanium Ultralight Tent Stake (6) 1.68 oz 47.63 g
    Guyline Cord Kit (mini carabiners + tensioners) 1.55 oz 43.94 g
    Subtotal 23.98 oz 679.82 g

Sleep System
    North Face Kilo Long Sleeping Bag Down – 32F 32.50 oz 921.36 g
    REI Standard Blue Foam Pad – 60" Tapered – 3/8" 6.88 oz 194.90 g
    Subtotal 39.38 oz 1116.26 g

Packing
    Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus 19.38 oz 549.27 g
    Tarptent Stake Sack 0.07 oz 1.98 g
    Tall Kitchen Garbage Bag 0.81 oz 22.96 g
    ZipLoc Bag (5) 1.00 oz 28.35 g
    Subtotal 21.26 oz 602.57 g

Hydration
    Aquafina Water Bottle 1.30 oz 36.85 g
    Platypus 2+ Water Bottle – 2.4L 1.27 oz 36.00 g
    Aqua Mira Kit – Repackaged 0.50 oz 14.17 g
    Subtotal 3.07 oz 87.03 g

Cooking
    Brunton Optimus Crux 3.14 oz 89.02 g
    Snow Peak Giga Power 110g fuel canister (empty) 3.50 oz 99.22 g
    Snow Peak Titanium 600 Mug w/o handles 2.00 oz 56.70 g
    Aluminum Mug Lid 0.18 oz 5.10 g
    Lexan Spoon 0.31 oz 8.79 g
    Bear Bag Hanging System 3.75 oz 106.31 g
    Subtotal 12.88 oz 365.14 g

Other Essentials
    Petzl e+Lite 0.95 oz 26.93 g
    Adventure Medical Ultralight .5 First Aid Kit 3.46 oz 98.09 g
    Adventure Medical Rescue Mirror 0.67 oz 18.99 g
    Advil + 3' Duct Tape 1.10 oz 31.18 g
    Silva Compass/Thermometer 0.46 oz 13.04 g
    Lighter 0.60 oz 17.01 g
    Matchbox in sandwich baggie 0.25 oz 7.09 g
    Rite-in-the-Rain All-Weather Mini Notebook 0.65 oz 18.43 g
    Victorinox Signature II Pocket Knife 0.77 oz 21.83 g
    Burt's Bees Tin – Lip Balm 0.46 oz 13.04 g
    Dental Floss Pick (2) 0.07 oz 1.98 g
    Dr Bronners – Repackaged 0.40 oz 11.34 g
    Hand Sanitizer – Repackaged 0.60 oz 17.01 g
    Insect Repellent – 98% Deet- Repackaged 0.40 oz 11.34 g
    Lightload Pack Towel 0.40 oz 11.34 g
    Sunscreen 0.74 oz 20.98 g
    Tooth Brush 0.21 oz 5.95 g
    Subtotal 12.19 oz 345.58 g

Consumables
    Food (3 days) 60.22 oz 1707.10 g
    Water (1 liter) 33.81 oz 958.50 g
    Fuel (1 canister) 3.80 oz 861.83 g
    Subtotal 124.43 oz 107.73 g

Weight Summary
    (1) Total Weight Worn or Carried 3 lb 15 oz (1.79 kg)
    (2) Total Base Pack Weight 7 lb 8 oz (3.39 kg)
    (3) Total Weight of Consumables 7 lb 12 oz (3.53 kg)
    (4) Total Initial Pack Weight (2) + (3) 15 lb 4 oz (6.92 kg)
    (5) Full Skin Out Weight (1) + (2) + (3) 19 lb 3 oz (8.71 kg)

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

If your trip is between July 1st and September 1st you probably could get by with less clothing. On the SHT in midsummer I would take running shorts, short sleeve synthetic top, wind pants, wind shirt (only to deal with bugs) and a rain jacket. I use a JRB stealth quilt so if it is not going to get below 50 F I do not take any other warm clothing.

You could also switch to a cat-can alcohol stove pretty cheaply to save a few ounces.

Also are you comfortable sleeping in your tyvek bivy in warm conditions? During midsummer it is possible to have nights that do not get below 60 F and it might not be comfortable in sealed up bivy (to deal with bugs).

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Stuart,

Thanks for the comments… In regards to the bivy, I too was wondering if I would be too warm inside this with my 32F bag… I have never actually used a bivy before and will be making my own out of tyvek in the next couple weeks. I made a tyvek ground sheet with a footbox a while back, but never tried that either. That might be all I need, but if it gets rainy and windy off of the lake, I would probably want full protection of my down bag.

I've been eyeing the tigoat long bivy (I'm 6'4") for awhile, but have not pulled the trigger yet. I also realize I could get by with a lighter bag and even convert to a quilt, but again have had the cash to do that yet.

Do you think I could get by with my tyvek bivy, a flannel sleeping bag liner the clothes I have listed and then leave the sleeping bag home?? I do have my montbell vest I could throw in too…

As far as the clothing, I have been meaning to get a light pair of running shorts and then use my generic wind pants or my driducks pants to go over top for bugs… I'll have to put that at the top of my list of things to do.

I do like to have my long sleeve icebreaker as I do get chilled pretty easily, especially if it's rainy… but the windshirt might be enough?

I do have an alcohol stove, but with a group of us going, I think it is more efficient to use the canister stove. I will also be throwing in my sp 900 and possibly a little 9 ox 5-cup coffee percolator as well for more capacity for the group. There will be 3-5 of us going overall.

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

I personally would not want to use any bivy if the night time temps were not going to be below 60 F. For summer trips I used to use a net tent but for this year I have switched to a hammock.

If you are going in july or august and the weather looks good you probably could get away with a bag liner, bivy, and clothes but if you are going sometime this month I would still take you down bag. If you can sew consider making a simple quilt out of 2.5 oz climashield. The are relatively cheap to make and would cover most summer temps on the SHT. One would also weight 11 to 14 oz and would save you over a pound compared to your down bag.

I agree that if you are cooking for 5 people take the canister stove, it definitely be more efficient.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Stuart's July/August insulation suggestions are correct 99.9% of the time and that's exactly what I would bring. But good old Lake Superior can throw you a curve ball so watch the weather forecast and have a bit of warmer gear ready to pack at the last minute … was in the BWCAW for the first week of July once in the early 1990's with lows in the 30's and highs in the 40's for the first three days.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Stuart and Jim know that country as good as (if not better) than I and I agree with their advice. A tyvek bivy will be hot on the hottest days, but considering you're only bringing a poncho tarp you're going to need something for rain spray.

I don't see any insulated clothing on the list. You've got a 23 oz. sleeping bag though. The addition of a 9 to 12 oz. insulated jacket would be a practical decision as you could use it in camp as well as part of your sleep system. A lightweight beanie is a good idea for any northern packing list.

Thirdly, cut your foam pad (or acquire a different one) to torso size. The ground along the SHT in the summer will not produce significant conductive heat loss so unless comfort is your main concern you could save three oz. there.

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Thanks for all the feedback! I really appreciate it!!

For clarification, my next trip is the middle of July…

I would like to make my own quilt and have been pondering it for awhile. Reality is that I just don't have the time with trying to fix up a house, a 15 mth old running around and another joining us at the end of the summer. So, I elected to order a 20 oz sleeping bag from REI for $45 that I am going to modify into a quilt. (see my MYOG thread) That will get me by for now and hopefully will drop my sleeping bag / quilt down to about a pound. That in itself will reduce my pack weight by a pound. I figure I will then need to add my montbell thermawrap vest back in which I think I would like to have around camp anyway. I figure if I get too warm in the bivy, going with a 45+F quilt and other insulating gear will give me the most versatility to adjust my thermal comfort. This will be my first time in a bivy, so I'm excited to see how it will work.

As far as going bivy-less, I just don't think I can go without when using a poncho/tarp and my 6'4" height.

One thing I did forget to add to the above list is my mosquito headnet… a must for the SHT and sleeping in a bivy. I need to weigh it and add it to my list.

Beyond this list, I am buying a Tarptent Rainshadow 2 for us to share as a group. Depending on how many people end up going, I may not even need the bivy/tarp combo.

I will consider cutting my pad down… We'll see what the forecasted temps will be when the time comes.

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

Hi Jeremy,

I just got back from the 2nd 3 day trip to SHT. The only things I can suggest are:
    1) Don't cut down your pad. The camp sights on these 2 trips have been shared with other packers so the pads are not optimum. Lots of roots and rocks.
    2) Someone always has fire in the pits so you can cook over a wood fire. Messy but no extra weight except for a baggie over your pot.
    3) If the group you are going with is experienced, they will have their own stoves. If not your probably going to have to help them with cooking and rope to hang the food bags anyway. No weigh or time savings there.
    4) Bugs went up the pants legs but I didn't notice until I got back home. Didn't even notice the flies were biting. Good bug spray is all I can recommend.

Oh, and you can see from my avatar – I'm not even "light" at this point – I filled the 90L pack that I bought from you both times. 35-40 lbs of BULK. So- take what I recommned with a large bag of salt. :-)

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Gene, Welcome to BPL! If you hang around here very long, you'll soon be selling your 90L and buying something lighter like I did. I saw your pics from your first trip. You'll have to send me some from your second trip.

Thanks for the feedback!

The guys that are going with me are friends of mine and I will be the most experienced and will have the only stove. At 3-4 people I am contimplating whether or not my 900 ml is enough for all of us. I'm thinking I might need to throw in my 5 cup percolator and put that on the fire or stove as needed just for coffee.

Biting flies and mosquitoes in Minnesota, no way!! :-) They can certainly be brutal up there. I do everything I can to avoid putting bug spray on, even if it means have long pants and sleeves. I just hate putting that stuff all over me.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

– The 32 sleeping bag is over kill. Get something lighter and wear all your clothes to bed. Super light bags for summer are pretty cheap. The BPL Cocoon quilt (60) would be perfect.

– You are making your own bivi? Just so you know, TYVEC seals great with masking tape. DOn't ask me why, but it is durable, and cheap. And easy. Also, it seals with BARGE cement (contact cement) do NOT use a sewing machine. And, for a breathable top, the DRI-DUCKS fabric is cheap and super breathable – And it seals well with barge cement.

– You are hiking along lake superior – AND you are carrying 3.4 liters of water capacity? Nix something, a liter is PLENTY!

– and –

1 pound 4 ounces of food per day is pretty low. You might wanna bump that up, just a little, especially if you are 6 foot 4”.

– Do you have a mirror on your compass – if so, nix the rescue mirror.

Beyond my nit picking, looks awesome.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

– You are hiking along lake superior – AND you are carrying 3.4 liters of water capacity? Nix something, a liter is PLENTY!

Mike,

Not your territory so we're not expecting you to know this but … SHT runs more or less along the first ridge line inland from the lake and approaches within 1/2 mile of the lake only 7-8 times in 205 miles of trail. Those spots are all at major rivers with reliable water. There IS a sum total of about 2 miles of trail along the lakeshore … most of which is living H*LL hiking in deep loose gravel (but the water is cold and wonderful!).

3-4 liters of water capacity would be a bit much when all the creeks are flowing, but late summer most years they aren't and a fair number of the campsites will be dry.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Mike has good advice but Jim needs to be second'ed on the water situation along the SHT (that should probably be called the SRT (Sawtooth Ridge Trail).

I stand by my suggestion to cut down the sleeping mat (sorry Eugene). Eugene does make a good suggestion about cooking over fires. There are fire pits at 90% (if not 100%) of the sites along the SHT. On that same note, a 900mL pot WILL NOT be enough for three or four people (it's designed for one).

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Water suggestion 3rd'd. I'd carry 2L capacity minimum. Also, remember that just because you have that much capacity does not mean that you need to fill it up (Where's Cunningham – there's an inside joke there…). If you need some water, but know a liter will get you to your next reliable source, go for it. But if not, fill 'er up.

Also, I'm, with Sam on cutting the pad.

Please report back on the poncho tarp. I'm heading out for solo trip in ~3 weeks (where, who knows!) and the GoLite P/T is heading out for its maiden voyage. SHT is a likely locale.

Matt Vandenberg

@matty204

Im thru hiking early july, do you guys think i can get by in my bivy with just a sleeping bag liner and clothes? For sleep insulation id be using a montbell thermawrap, bpl longjohns, thick socks and id bring a light beanie.

Thanks

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Nope. I don't trust the weather up there because of the lake. I'd take a bag/quilt/clothes you know can take you into the 30s most times of year.

What bivy would you be bringing, and what other shelter would you be using with it, if any?

Matt Vandenberg

@matty204

ptarmigan bivy with mld spinnaker tarp, ill end up bringing my summerlite.

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

It can easily get into the 40s at night in the summer along the SHT. For example it is currently 48F. Add a little wind off the lake along the ridge and you will certainly need some reasonable insulation.

In regards to the water, I have gone stretches of 6+ miles without water. Personally, I get dehydrated very easily and am even thinking about adding an additional 1L Aquafina bottle.

I went ahead and ordered the Lafuma 45F bag that comes in at 20 oz and I am going to pare that down to hopefully 16 oz by cutting off the zipper, the draft tube and other flaps and straps. I'm still debating whether or not I should through in some long johns for sleeping in and maybe even my montbell vest.

You all have convinced me to cut down my pad… And I think I am going to make a SMD Meteor type bivy from my Tyvek I have on hand. The footbox may even be smaller than what they have spec'd so that I can get more ventilation… We'll see. Maybe I can try it out in my backyard a couple days this summer.

My trip is schedule for the third weekend in July. Hopefully my knees will be rehab'd good enough by then….

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

No problem Sam. (smile) I finally got over it. As you can see
    I have some baggage to unload anyway. It's going to take longer though to get past the bag J sold me though.

On the serious side: Looks like the gear list is pretty good. After looking around BPL for the best $/weight ratio for lighting up my load, J's list is right on track as far as I can tell – particularly the wool clothing and Brunton Crux stove both have excellent volume/use/safety. (I fear wet and cold)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools