Topic

I think this is right-walking question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion I think this is right-walking question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tim Gucek

@the_timminator

I'm trying to join the Royal Navy, but because of a past medical issue the navy doc decided I have to walk at least 20-30 miles a week for 2 months in military issue boots- which, for the record, arrived today so I laced them up and swapped the insoles for some leather ones and they seem OK.

To build up the miles I'm walking back home from work 3 times a week-7 miles/90 minutes. However, I also want to add in a more taxing route of 52 miles in a weekend every fortnight.

The route I have planned is along a main road, but there are some parts that branch off one smaller roads that go through a bit of moorland. I'm far from the outdoorsy walking type (but I am a runner :P) so I'm not sure whether I should actually take a stove, emergency shelter and other stuff with me when I'm not venturing far off into the moorland of North Yorkshire.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I'm guessing that when you actually get in the military, you'll find yourself not only walking goodly distances, but carrying a sizable amount of gear. It wouldn't hurt to get used to some of that now too!

Start light and add weight each week. And if you can, get a pack that your branch of the military uses.

Tim Gucek

@the_timminator

Thanks for the reply.

30 miles across Dartmoor with a good sized bergen…Ouch. I've acquired a small army daysack (40L) for the time being, and I have an old 60L Karrimor pack.

I think I'll take the stuff with me, just as a precautionary measure and to get used to carrying the weight. I don't want to wind up cold and hungry, 20 miles away from home to be perfectly honest.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools